Bogner Wessex or Ecstasy Blue? What do you think?

What's Hot
stefjuddstefjudd Frets: 40
Hey folks, anyone got both of these pedals or played both? I'm undecided in which one to get.
I use a Bogner Shiva head and need a mild overdrive to add a little hair to the clean channel and to boost the drive channel a little...
What do you think?... Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would say both are over priced personally. 

I would personally look at a nobels ODR-1
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Cmatmods Butah drive or Xotic RC or AC boost.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Adding hair to a clean channel is something the Blue can do quite well, but it would definitely not be my choice for boosting an already dirty amp. It's more of a preamp in a box so it's not really designed for going in front of a dirty amp.

I also didn't find the Blue as special as the Red. 

My choices would be the Liquid Sunshine, Hotcake, or Suhr Koko depending on the tone you are going for.

Haven't tried the Wessex.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    Slight boost, yet retaining the amp's flavour, is go with the Timmy, or a clone.
  • TC Spark Boost....the full sized one with the drive control. Or a Timmy.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I currently use a BB preamp and find it nice on the clean channel but adding a bit too much high end to the overdrive channel... I have also tried an AC booster and found the opposite- Nice on the overdrive but didn't like the sound of the clean channel with it... Also tried, Klon clone and TREX mudhoney - same results... nice on one but not the other, In an ideal world I would have two but space can be an issue... After your comments I may well lose a pedal somewhere and keep the BB and add an AC booster for the overdrive channel... - The Suhr koji comp may have to go as I don't use it that often...
  • I would say both are over priced personally. 

I would personally look at a nobels ODR-1
    Not heard that one- will check it out! Thanks!
  • Sassafras said:
    Cmatmods Butah drive or Xotic RC or AC boost.
    Which do you prefer from the RC or AC?... Thanks! Not heard of the Butah, will check it out...
  • Slight boost, yet retaining the amp's flavour, is go with the Timmy, or a clone.
    Been wanting to try a timmy for a while but was worried I might have the same results as the BB... I'll check out some vids... cheers
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I suppose if I had to choose one it would be the AC, I find it more versatile than the RC. The Butah is a nice low gain overdrive but I'm not sure if they're easily available in the UK. I got mine 2nd hand off ebay.
  • If you're considering other options, and haven't tried one before, the rockett blue note would be my top pick.
  • not_the_dj;520908" said:
    TC Spark Boost....the full sized one with the drive control. Or a Timmy.
    Cheers, will check them out!
  • guitarpolo;520968" said:
    If you're considering other options, and haven't tried one before, the rockett blue note would be my top pick.
    Not heard of that one, will check it out!
  • Yeah the TC Spark is really great. I would recommend it too.
  • Cheers for all the recommendations so far, I really don't know what to try first!...
  • I' go for the TC Spark.  It's really nice and has lots of options such as midboost, clean boost and fat boost.  It has bass and treble controls too.  Pretty cheap which is a Brucey Bonus!
  • I' go for the TC Spark.  It's really nice and has lots of options such as midboost, clean boost and fat boost.  It has bass and treble controls too.  Pretty cheap which is a Brucey Bonus!

Cool, thanks!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    Mate, it's Lee! I've got an Ecstasy Red. You can borrow it for a bit if you like, see what you reckon?
  •  

I like the Spark boost but not as a drive pedal.  The actual gain out of it is a bit raspy so not ideal for adding much drive on a clean channel.  That said, if it's just a little bit of hair and nothing more they are nice.

I use a Sweet Honey overdrive that is great for adding some nice low gain, but it definitely has it's own colour going on.  Looking to try a Rocket Blue note next which I'm hoping will be less changing of the basic tone.

• @Nerine thanks mate that would be cool to try it out! Cheers for that!