Love my new Zendrive clone, but what could I get for a different overdrive flavour?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Recently snagged a Big Knob Zed Drive pedal (zendrive clone) and it's everything I hoped for - a really smooth, fat-sounding, responsive low to mid gain overdrive, with a touch of natural compression. It's really nice for my needs. And I need nothing more really, but somehow, I'm still kind of GAS-ing for another overdrive pedal - they seem kind of more-ish. What else might be recommended - obviously I don't want to buy anything too similar, but I would like to stay in the low to mid gain kind of thing - just with a bit of a different character. Maybe something with a little more edge and grit, while still musical and sweet-sounding. Perhaps if the two pedals stacked well to give a higher gain sound, that would be cool also. And nothing too expensive either, under £50 would be good, under £30 even better. :D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm not really familiar with the ZD. But if you want something which is different, then MXR do some fantastic dirts.

I have a Custom78 badass and a Distortion3, both of which are awesomes. Neither is as high-gain or dirty as they sound either. I'd happily use either at a blues jam and not feel the gain or tone were out of order. I wouldn't use either for full-on metal, but blues, blues-rock or classic rock are well covered.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    mike_l said:

I'm not really familiar with the ZD. But if you want something which is different, then MXR do some fantastic dirts.

I have a Custom78 badass and a Distortion3, both of which are awesomes. Neither is as high-gain or dirty as they sound either. I'd happily use either at a blues jam and not feel the gain or tone were out of order. I wouldn't use either for full-on metal, but blues, blues-rock or classic rock are well covered.

Cheers @mike_I - full on metal is not something I'm wanting to get into anyway, just not me really! :D I'm guess I'm thinking of something that would maybe have a little more edge and grit to it, compared to the ZD, but still responsive and articulate for soloing use - blues/blues-rock/classic rock does sound like something I could be interested in (especially the blues) so thanks for that. :)

It'd be worth trying a Custom badass overdrive as well as the distortion, it's a lower gain, pedal.

The Boss sd-1 is also worth a look. I like it most as a lead boost into a crunchy/dirty amp. But it can get a clean amp slightly crunchy too. Quite possibly the most common dirt pedal anywhere.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Also I like the Zvex Distortron with a Strat for Pink Floyd rhythms, boosted with a Toadworks Mr.Ed for leads.

Hopefully something in these is what you want.

Cheers for the further suggestions @mike_I - I'll investigate them all. A mate does have an SD-1 so I have tried that - I found it a bit too "hairy" sounding somehow, for my taste - just a bit undefined. Of course it's all down to individual taste I know. Will investigate them all anyhow though, and thanks again for your thoughts. :)

I deliberately stayed away from the lairy pedals.

My gut feeling is the MXR's would be what you're looking for.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    @mike_l nice profile pic!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    Zen > Timmy is a great tone (slight bias praps, mine being in the classifieds). Finding my newly-acquired TC Spark is a great addition; it has gain (dirt) plus bass & treble and a 3-way switch. Gets different tones out of filth pedals. Used ones are in budget.
    Corvus said:
    Zen > Timmy is a great tone (slight bias praps, mine being in the classifieds). Finding my newly-acquired TC Spark is a great addition; it has gain (dirt) plus bass & treble and a 3-way switch. Gets different tones out of filth pedals. Used ones are in budget.
    Cheers @Corvus - I think the Timmy probably is a pedal I would like if I tried it.
  • Wisdom for @mike_l, I really love mxr drives. The dist 3 is a really great overdrive/mid gain distortion, push a driven amp with it and it'll sound huge, but it can also be the only source of clipping and sound great. Very underrated pedal.