A new concept for me....

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
I'm not sure I need a wah?

Sounds so simple but I've had one on my board for nearly 20 years now (obviously not the same one as I'm a fatty and the make the pots out of paper it seems) but I don't really use it now. 

When I play in a covers band it gets used on one song maybe, but even then I could live without it. I have never played a gig without having a wah of some description, I used to use it because my playing was well, a bit shit and this helped cover that up. My playing is still shit but I play those shit notes with more confidence these days. 

Is this a the norm? Do most of you have a wah and rarely use it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I have one and TBH I don't use it a huge amount even though I'm in a funk band.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Exactly, to be honest I now rely on my strumming technique being a little better which means if I'm playing anything funky it sounds better clean with both pick ups selected on either my LP or Sheraton. 

I used to use the wah as a crutch instead of an effect. Now I use it as an effect I find I don't really need it.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I've tried them a couple of times but eventually I get bored of playing voodoo child and the shaft theme.

I think its just something I'll never really use so won't bother with another one.

I've been Wah free over a year and haven't missed it yet!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I'm the oposite. Haven't owned a wah for 20 years and bought one last month. Great fun. I have it off-board running on a battery so can literally take it or leave it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've got one but it's never been on my board mainly because I not too good on the wah. If I had to use wah I'd probably use an auto wah. At least then there'd be a chance of it sounding vaguely synchronised with my playing.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    No wah here. I do use an envelope filter alot though.
  • I couldn't live without one, but I guess as a Satch and Zappa fan it's not really surprising?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I have 2. Literally haven't used either in 18 months though. Great for that occasional thing, and can be huge fun. I should probably sell one of mine though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    After my new set up last night I am wondering what other pedals I could live without?

Maybe I could not use my TC spark? Maybe I could not use one of my drive pedals?

I've been considering this today, I might move to getting a smaller pedal board as my current one is a TRex tone trunk 68.
  • I use mine all the time. Increasingly I use it to mimic the kind of filter movements you get in electronic musics
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I use mine all the time. Increasingly I use it to mimic the kind of filter movements you get in electronic musics
    This is what I tend to use mine for as well, kind of a slow, dancy, low pass filter, sweep thing :)
  • Could only really do the up down funky rivvum thing and nothing at all useful beyond that. Auto wah works better for me and no one shouts Oi Hendrix at you when you use it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.