Marhall 5210 - Drive Channel not working

gubblegubble Frets: 1767
edited February 2015 in Amps

So I picked up a Jet City JCA50H this weekend and the guy also had a couple of old marshall solid state amps for sales.

He's let me borrow (to see if i like) a Marshall 5210 1x12 50 Watt solid state amp. The clean channel is working however the drive channel is not.

Is this a common fault with an easy fix does anyone know?

He's wanting £30 for the amp

I know nothing about these amps however thinking it might be nice for home use and as a backup to the Jet City.

Many Thanks in advance

Chris

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Buy it for £30, the speaker and cabinet are worth more than that. Actually the knobs and logo aren't far off!

Hard to say what the exact cause of the fault is - it could be either in the signal path or the switching - but it shouldn't be hard or expensive to fix, they are not complex amps and not difficult to work on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gubblegubble Frets: 1767
    He's also got a mosfet 100 combo in lovely conditoin he's wanting only £90 for !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    gubble said:
    He's also got a mosfet 100 combo in lovely conditoin he's wanting only £90 for !
    Buy that as well!

Although if it's a combo, possibly not - as far as I know they only did the combo in the later circuit version which doesn't have the Pull-EQ function on the dirty channel, and is a much less good amp - still as tough and loud, but very 80s-sounding, not in a good way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gubblegubble Frets: 1767

I finally got around to plugging the amp in last night - what a great clean tone !

Changing to the boost channel, sound does come through but it's really quiet and also when switching back to clean it sounds like some of the dirty channel is still coming through.

Ironically I found a post from the previous owner about this online where he states:

Linky

As i'm no tech i'll need to to take it somewhere and as @ICBM is sadly too far away for me to give the job too does anyone know any amp techs around either southampton or the new forest that will work on solid state amps?