my wife took a wonderful video of a radiator on her iphone

What's Hot
But the soundtrack is not bad, even if I do say so myself. And I do say so because it is me at an open mic night.

How do I extract the audio track to an mp3 format (or similar) and reduce the size of the file (which is massive) without losing too much sound quality?

I feel I should be able to find this out on Google but I'm clearly asking the question in the wrong language (i.e. non-technical).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can extract audio using something like imovie or windows movie maker. I'm pretty sure you can do it in Logic Pro too.

You need something clever to do it, in other words. What you got?
  • Upload the video to youtube (set it to Private if you don't want anyone watching it!) then rip the audio from it using something like vidtomp3.com

• ...just to add, vidtomp3.com doesn't require you downloading any software, so it's ideal for a one-off or occasional use.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27826
    Take a look at Total Recorder.

Play the video back, with the sound out connected to your PC as in input, Total Recorder on the PC will record the input, which you can then save as a sound file in whatever format you like.

It's useful for all sorts of sound recorder-y things.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • reaper can actually read most formats, often you jsut need to rename the container ie/ .m4a to .mov.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • You can extract audio using something like imovie or windows movie maker. I'm pretty sure you can do it in Logic Pro too.

You need something clever to do it, in other words. What you got?
    Well I've got movie maker - which is a start.

I'll try vidtomp3.com first , I think as it seems to do just what I want - and I'll see what the quality is like.

Thanks everyone 
  • I'd suggest running your headphone out into your pc/laptop and capturing the audio with something like audacity...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10498

Import the clip into Movie Maker

Then choose "Save Movie"

Then click the arrow at the bottom of the options and choose "audio only "

Done :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1647

Don't know about iPhones but it should come up on a PC(?) as storage device using Bluetooth. Thus you can just copy over the audio file.

You can use Audacity to edit it as it will open most things then export it as a.wav To get this as an MP3 a nice program is MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Silver since this allows you to convert into the best format of 320kbps.

Running the audio out from the headphone socket and into a PC 1/8" input jack in real time is the worst way for good quality.

Another excellent audio editor which I happen to have is Adobe Audition 1.5.

Dave.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Upload the video to youtube (set it to Private if you don't want anyone watching it!) then rip the audio from it using something like vidtomp3.com
    VLC can do it
    http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVD-Audio-to-MP3-Using-VLC-Media-Player
    - tells you how to extract to mp3, but you're better to do it to FLAC or something to avoid transcoding (or to just copy the stream and keep the same audio format, which is a little more complex, but not much).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:

Import the clip into Movie Maker

Then choose "Save Movie"

Then click the arrow at the bottom of the options and choose "audio only "

Done :)

unfortunately it says it is not a supported file (.MOV) si I can't just import it, otherwise this would be a winner
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 414
    edited February 2015
    imalone said:
    Upload the video to youtube (set it to Private if you don't want anyone watching it!) then rip the audio from it using something like vidtomp3.com
    VLC can do it
    http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVD-Audio-to-MP3-Using-VLC-Media-Player
    - tells you how to extract to mp3, but you're better to do it to FLAC or something to avoid transcoding (or to just copy the stream and keep the same audio format, which is a little more complex, but not much).
    This has done the job! Perfect (I haven't avoided transcoding yet but I'll play around with it after I've looked to see what it is).

Edit: wiki is my friend. I'll play around with it to reduce the lossy-ness - but this is the best result so far

Thanks everyone