Looking for a tight/ping/ringing snare sample

My drummer is pretty "particular" about his snare sound. We've recorded a track using an electric kit, and running through Addictive drums, but I can't quite get the sound he wants. 

We did try try quickly sampling his snare, but for whatever reason after I stuck some compression on it there's quite a bit of hiss/noise, which while it seems to get lost in the mix, it bugs the hell out of me that it's there.

I will probably try recording some samples again at some point, but in the meantime, does anyone know any good snare sample libraries, or can think of a particular snare from a VST that fits the bill?

The snare sound is basically the Helmet/John Stainer tight-as-a-Mouses's-Ear sound. He has a shallow (3" or so) piccolo snare.

I've tried pitching up most of the snares in AD but they sound wrong after a couple %.

Any bones?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sample the one off St Anger?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Sample the one off St Anger?
    gah hell no!

awful snare. maybe my descriptions don't quite fit, but if your familiar with the drum sound of Helmet you should know what i mean.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10498

I got Slate trigger with a variety of toppy snares can print you some single shot samples but will be all the same velocity 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @Danny1969 That would would be good if you get time. I'll likely layer a couple of snares anyhow to get some dynamics. I can always do a bit of editing in Battery or something to give me some variation from a single sample and whack round robin on. Slate Trigger seems reasonably priced so if there is something that fits the bill i might grab a copy in the future.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    Try the Piccolo snare in Addictive Drums, if you haven't already. It's my most used snare regardless of genre as I just feel it's how a snare should sound.