Can I fit patio doors on my detached garage without building regs/ planning permission

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068
    WezV said:

If you ever come to sell you will get hassle if you do not have a FENSA certificate.
    Suggest you look into Fensa or similar. May also need to check any restrictive covenants'.
    only applicable to the main house I think, inhabitable rooms I think 

Questions will still be asked either way, and sometimes this is enough to disuade potential buyers.  Just the fear its not done properly will scare some off

I have a seperate brick built garage  which has had the back section made into an "office space".   When we brought the house we were told in no uncertain terms that the garage & back room could not be used as a living or work space even though the estate agents listed it as an office/workshop.   There were also a couple of small internal modifications to our house which the seller claimed "were like that when he brought it" completely at odds with what he had told us when viewing.   all this managed to slow the process down a lot even though it was never as issue to us.  Its probably one of the reasons the sale had fallen through 3 times before.  

I think I read that FENSA certificates are not given for uninhabited outbuildings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068

Not notifiable to FENSA

The FENSA scheme does not cover the following and work should be notified to the local authority:

• New build dwellings
    • New domestic extensions
    • Any glazing work in commercial and industrial buildings
    • Listed buildings or those in conservation areas
    • Doors with less than 50% glazing
    • Room conversions e.g. bathroom converted into bedroom, new loft conversions
    • Communal areas for flats

The removal of Brickwork (e.g. conversion of windows to patio cut outs, door to window, window to door) are not considered replacement like for like products and should not be registered under a replacement window, door and roof light Competent Person scheme.

The FENSA scheme also does not cover any glazing work in the following but the work does not need to be notified to the local authority:

• Detached garages and sheds
    • Most caravans, mobile homes and holiday chalets
    • Repairs to windows or replacement insulating glass units
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Who on earth dreamt up this FENSA cobblers? The Double Glazing Federation?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggy;526100" said:
    Who on earth dreamt up this FENSA cobblers? The Double Glazing Federation?
    Yep and its utter bollocks.

Can't even fit your own windows now as you need this certificate when you sell the house of if you have a building regs inspector come and look if you've had new windows or patio doors in an extension etc.

I fitted all mine and continue to do so when panels need replacing down the line.

It's another money making scheme

So who is qualified to fit a window? Is it 'a competent person'? And do they detail who that might be?

Cos I reckon I reckon I'm more than capable, and competent.

• So who is qualified to fit a window? Is it 'a competent person'? And do they detail who that might be?

Cos I reckon I reckon I'm more than capable, and competent.

That you may be, but have you proved it to 'them' or - more importantly - paid their fee?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

It depends on what the regs say about how 'competency' is decided.

To be honest, I couldn't be bothered with fitting a window in, it's the principle and it annoys me when I see this kind of FENSA shite, dictating what I can and can't do with my own property, and which as someone said, is just a bullshit, money-generating, jobs-for-the-boys-type scheme.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom