Travesty or good move?

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
in FX tFB Trader
So i bought an MXR 1970's block logo dyne comp. Its in pretty good condition but most interestingly is the fact that inside its the same circuit as the script logo pedals.... I tried to sell this on ebay and it just wasn't going anywhere so i decided to keep it.

The problem is that these pedals aren't true bypass (or buffered) so there is always a load on the signal even when seemingly bypassed. on top of that they are battery only and don't have an LED indication. I thought that as I'm keeping it i would rectify all of these things......

the question i, have i ruined a collectable item or was i right to do it?

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it works for you it was the right move
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    no...you've improved it and made it more functional. those issues you mention would stop me from buying it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    If it works for you it was the right move
    This with knobs on.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    samzadgan said:
    no...you've improved it and made it more functional. those issues you mention would stop me from buying it...
    thats what i thought...
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    This with knobs on.
    Yeah, it was more a question of should you leave vintage effects alone, is there a line that shouldn't be crossed (like putting a lloyd on a 63 strat!!)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I bought one off ebay that had already been modded with a psu input and I'm glad I did because I don't like using batteries. I don't really care about it's value or collectability, I just want it to work and give me a much nicer sound than the modern comps. I don't suppose it'll ever reach the over inflated prices of a Klon so I won't be selling it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    I bought one off ebay that had already been modded with a psu input and I'm glad I did because I don't like using batteries. I don't really care about it's value or collectability, I just want it to work and give me a much nicer sound than the modern comps. I don't suppose it'll ever reach the over inflated prices of a Klon so I won't be selling it.
    thats a fair point, I've always loved the sound of the old dyna comps, just sounds so sweet to my ears!!

• thorpy6 said:
    juansolo said:
    This with knobs on.
    Yeah, it was more a question of should you leave vintage effects alone, is there a line that shouldn't be crossed (like putting a lloyd on a 63 strat!!)
    I have never thought about pedals before but if it was a vintage guitar I would swap the tuners, pickups, refret and change the bridge in a heart beat if it made it better
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Funny enough I was having exactly the same issue with a vintage phase 90 so ended up shifting it and building a new one, merely because a mate was desperate for the original so it did him a favour.  To be honest I wouldn't have thought twice about doing exactly what you did.  It working for you, (and God knows the bypass needs sorting) is the only thing that matters.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    edited February 2015
    thorpy6 said:

But why did you fit the LED there?! If you'd put it in the right place it would be a sensible upgrade, as it is it just looks like a bodge.

Sorry!

You can have functional *and* right, you don't have to choose. And you made a nice job of the power jack.

(For what it's worth I've done exactly this conversion to many MXR pedals, so I'm not judging you on modding it! But I've always put the LED where it should be :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    thorpy6 said:

But why did you fit the LED there?! If you'd put it in the right place it would be a sensible upgrade, as it is it just looks like a bodge.

Sorry!

You can have functional *and* right, you don't have to choose. And you made a nice job of the power jack.

(For what it's worth I've done exactly this conversion to many MXR pedals, so I'm not judging you on modding it! But I've always put the LED where it should be :).)

Bodge? I like the led there, moreover the led surrounds fit nicely in that position put not at the top of the footswitch. The board inside extends down to cover the 3pdt edge so it couldn't have gone above the switch. Horses for courses though
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been looking for an all-original block-logo Dyna Comp for ages and have six-hundred of your English pounds just waiting for the right one to become available....

D'oh!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've been looking for an all-original block-logo Dyna Comp for ages and have six-hundred of your English pounds just waiting for the right one to become available....

D'oh!

well if you want an enhanced one you know where to ask!!
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    thorpy6 said:
    juansolo said:
    This with knobs on.
    I've never met @lloyd but he might like it

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    thorpy6 said:
    juansolo said:
    This with knobs on.
    I've never met @lloyd but he might like it