Safe to run Fender Superchamp XD into Peavey Bandit?!

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
Well I did briefly and nothing amiss happened. But is it safe? Just ran guitar cable from SCXD Line Out into Bandit's Power Amp In socket. Both speakers going and sounded mighty good... Much louder but also fuller than the Fender on its own.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited February 2015
    I have wondered this too... a bit of me wants to run it into my Supersonic 60 and turn it up loud!

Where's that Fender bloke who has joined up here...????
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

:)

I can't see any problem with it. Essentially you're just using the Super Champ as an external preamp, if you're using the Line Out jack.

Just don't try it with a speaker out, on an amp that doesn't have a Line Out or FX Send. I know someone who blew an old valve Champ like that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, just make sure you have the speaker out attached to a load and you'll be ok. And obviously don't plug the speaker out into a line in!
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    How do I know if "speaker out is attached to a load"?! Electronics a mystery to me...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    If the Super Champ's speaker is still plugged into the amp and is making noise, then it is attached to a load.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Then I'm ok! So does that mean I could run an Orange micro head into the Bandit if the Peavey is just acting as a speaker?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    scarry67 said:
    Then I'm ok! So does that mean I could run an Orange micro head into the Bandit if the Peavey is just acting as a speaker?
    The Peavey is not just acting as a speaker! It's acting as a power amp. You cannot plug the *speaker* output of another amp into it.

You must not mix up speaker and any other outputs or inputs. Anything else (guitar/FX send/return/preamp out/power amp in/line out/in) should be safe, although in some combinations it won't sound good.

You also must not plug another amp into the extension speaker jack on the back of a combo - that's an *output*, not an input.

Some combos (but not the Bandit) do have a speaker which plugs into the back of the amp, and it's OK to unplug this and connect it to another amp, that way you are just using the combo as a speaker cab. (Be careful to check impedance and power rating.)