Tubes

What's Hot
BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
I need to get some new tubes for my Bogner Alchemist - 6L6 and 12AX7.

Are these any good and have you any other recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    Valves!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

• jpfamps said:
    Valves!

Okay - Okay I know, but everyone seems to refer to them as tubes these days (including Thomann)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31886
    edited February 2015
    jpfamps;525752" said:
    Valves!
    Go easy on him, he's not from around these parts.
    ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

jpfamps said:
    Valves!

Okay - Okay I know, but everyone seems to refer to them as tubes these days (including Thomann)
    That's because the Germans speak American not English.

The TAD 6L6WGC VALVES do have a good reputation.

The preamp VALVES should be decent as well but that can be a matter of preference.  Some people prefer these, some people prefer Tung-Sol, some people prefer EHX etc. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't know about the power valves but I've always liked the sound of the Tung Sols.
    They seem to have more clarity and a nice brightish sound, to my ears at least.
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I'm not a big user of 6L6's but TAD have been good to me in the past on them however, with most things Bogner when you actually read up on them Bogner generally always recommends Chinese 12ax7's in his amps (even the custom shop stuff) as they tend to sound the best in his amps so I wouldn't worry about spending a fortune on NOS or anything like that. 
  • I've used JJs for years, now switched to Tungsol ones. Never had any issues with neither of them.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    edited February 2015
    I've had a few excessively noisy Tungsol preamp valves so tend to avoid them now.

TBH decent NOS valves aren't terribly expensive and I find tend to last longer and often sound better too.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps;525752" said:
    Valves!
    +1 :x
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited February 2015
    I used 6L6 powered amps for years, until I changed about five years ago, and I was usually recommended Winged C 6L6's as being the best modern ones available. Is this not still the case?

• if you don't mind paying out a bit more, then these are good https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1313
    i had a pair in my old fender for about 8 years, i replaced them last year for another set of the same, but the original set still test good so i keep them for backups.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

if you don't mind paying out a bit more, then these are good https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1313
    i had a pair in my old fender for about 8 years, i replaced them last year for another set of the same, but the original set still test good so i keep them for backups.
    These are really good valves.  I've had a couple of sets of them.  I don't think they have quite the power handling of a 6L6GC though, and I'm not sure they have quite as high a maximum plate voltage.  If the amp you are using has a really high plate voltage they might not be a good idea, and there might be some issues with biasing them if the amp doesn't have a reasonably wide range on the bias control.
  • crunchman said:

if you don't mind paying out a bit more, then these are good https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1313
    These are really good valves.  I've had a couple of sets of them.  I don't think they have quite the power handling of a 6L6GC though, and I'm not sure they have quite as high a maximum plate voltage.  If the amp you are using has a really high plate voltage they might not be a good idea, and there might be some issues with biasing them if the amp doesn't have a reasonably wide range on the bias control.
    i've read quite a few bits and pieces about the lower plate voltages on these and that they might not be suitable for all amps. both the amps i've run them in have had plate voltages around the 470v mark and they've been absolutely fine, no sign of red plating with the bias set around 30mA. but yes, if you were considering these, best to check the suitability first because at 40 quid each it might be an expensive mistake.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I've buy my valves from http://www.karltone.co.uk - I generally go with whatever he recommends, which is often JJ, but not always.

Get in touch and have a chat - he's v. helpful.

R.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1973
    edited February 2015
    The Philips 6L6WGB JAN is a fantastic valve. sounds great, handle 470 volts (running in my Dumble Clone for 5 years). These were made until the early 80's due to use in American Military applications so still widely available. I've twice compared them to the TAD equivalent and in my book there is no comparison. This place is a bit cheaper than Watford Valves http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6L6WGB-5881-SIEMENS-MATCHED-PAIR-NOS-BOXED-/260866814062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cbcdfb06e I've bought from here before, good service etc.