Tayden High Brit

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
Just wondered what you guys think of this speaker? I know Zilla stock them so they can't be bad.

These seem to based on a greenback so I'm hoping they work well with my SS60.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    It seems a fair bit smoother to me than a greenback. (that's at the lowish volumes I play at at home, mind, and that being said it's probably not totally broken-in either, but then again they tend to smooth out even more when breaking in...)

that may well be par for the course with the higher wattage versions of originally lower-wattage speakers, though- I haven't tried enough of them to be sure.

how many were you getting? if two, I like how it combines with the great brit (g12h30-ish). it's a bit brighter, fizzier and less smooth and mixes nicely.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
    It's in a 1x12 Zilla that gets delivered tomorrow. I don't know much about these speakers. My plan was to get a Creamback to go with my fender amp.

I'm glad you've said its a smooth sound, I'm a fan of that. I like a more middy sound than bright and fizzy.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    edited February 2015
    Ah ok. You might like it then. As I said, I like it combined with the great brit but it's a bit smoother than I was expecting on its own, considering it's, as you said, meant to be their sort-of higher-powered greenback. I was pretty lucky actually, at one point I was just thinking of getting two High Brits for that cab, glad I didn't now. :))

I haven't tried the Creamback. When I got my Tayden the Creamback hadn't been released yet.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    edited February 2015
    Edit - double post!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    edited February 2015
    Hi shaunm, I've been using and gigging a High Brit for a while - came with my MJW Electra head & cab (a 30-watt Fender Blackface-type dealy). The High Brit is pretty dark and unusually smooth for a british style speaker, with a nice, tight low end - I liked it with the Electra as it gave it a little bark and grittiness a US-style speaker wouldn't have had, while reigning in the bass. 

I've just taken ownership of an MJW V6, which is a JTM/Tweed Bassman style amp, and thought something Greenback-ish would be a perfect match. However, doing some recording with the band over the last week, I found the High Brit to be rough and undefined when 'under stress'. Now I'm not very au fait with Greenbacks - I've always used V30s or G12h30s before, but I didn't feel like this got me anywhere. Put my Eminence Cannabis Rex in there, went to record some overdubs and WOW, the natural breakup was beautiful and clear - absolutely nailed the High Brit to the wall in that scenario, as well as being a fair bit clearer when playing clean too.

So, basically, I like it a lot better when not being driven hard. You're correct though, not much information out there! Let us know how you find it...
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    The Hi Brit uses the same motor unit and cone as the True Brit, but has a higher temperature Kapton voice coil, and hence higher thermal power handling.

Just because it can handle more power doesn't mean that it sounds better with more power up it.
  • jpfamps said:
    The Hi Brit uses the same motor unit and cone as the True Brit, but has a higher temperature Kapton voice coil, and hence higher thermal power handling.

Just because it can handle more power doesn't mean that it sounds better with more power up it.
    Horses for courses, certainly. I'd never judge a speaker on its power rating alone. I guess I would have assumed it would have had more headroom is all, but that must just be the nature of the beast!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
    @jellybelly thank you for you info and thought in the speaker. I got my cab yesterday so I got chance to put it through its paces a little and this is what I thought.

It's not particulally bright, which I like but it seems to really help push the mid's and bottom end. Even on the crazy bright Vibrolux setting on my amp the tone was not shrill which it was when I tried it with V30's on Monday.

I don't really use a lot of drive, at the most I play with an early 70's Classic Rock amount so I'm not sure how well it works when getting a load of gain put through it.

Overall I like it, coupled with the cab its in it seems to really suit the sound I am after. It's a big, warm sound.

I'd love to A/B it with a Creamback as I susspect the Creamback is ideal for me but in truth this one is pretty good. I like it.