'94 Twin Amp Help

welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
Ok, done to death I know.. 1994 Fender Twin with Black Knobs and the wording "Twin Amp" is the Evil Twin? Correct? I seem to remember @ICBM mentioning that these were a really good sounding and reliable version of this beast.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Yes.

I think they're the best-sounding modern Fender amp, but I know I may not be in the majority on that. I particularly like the 'pushed' mode on the clean channel. I think I might even prefer it to the Twin Reverb II, which was the flagship of the 'Rivera designed' series.

Not perfectly reliable, but pretty good for a complex channel-switcher. I can't remember having worked on more than three of them I think - one of which was just for a blown filament fuse which is an unnecessary EU-regulation addition, it's even fitted in an in-line fuse holder in the wiring loom. One was an annoying intermittent cracked PCB joint problem, which took ages to find and a few seconds to fix. Don't remember what the other one was. Certainly no major problem on any of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    ICBM said:

I think they're the best-sounding modern Fender amp, but I know I may not be in the majority on that. I particularly like the 'pushed' mode on the clean channel.
    I think the 94' Super Amp was better and I had both. The Super Amp was way lighter, the 10's were more lively and gave a better attack. Should have kept it. I have never thought the same about the Twin Amp.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    is it true that they weigh the same as a small house? Been offered one as a trade for my small Bogner Mojado.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    hywelg said:
    I think the 94' Super Amp was better and I had both. The Super Amp was way lighter, the 10's were more lively and gave a better attack. Should have kept it. I have never thought the same about the Twin Amp.
    I think that's why I prefer the Twin, although I've only played the Super once - but I found it too 'light sounding' as well, and a bit spiky. (I'm not really a fan of Super Reverbs either, to be fair.) I liked the big powerful tone of the Twin.

I love those huge vented-magnet speakers in it too - in my opinion the best Eminence have ever made, in fact I've deliberately bought several old broken Stage and Pro 185 solid-state amps, just for the speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein