LED`s ?

TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
Hi all, i`m probably in the wrong section again, but here goes. I`m trying to build myself a kill switch with an LED in it, so got hold of a bunch of LED`s, but it turns out they don`t like 9 volts, anything over 4.5v kills them stone dead, so i`m assuming that I need a resistor of some description, but havn`t a clue what to use, so any pointers in that sort of direction would be most helpful, thanks in advance, cheers, Tam. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This should tell you what you need to know. You need to know the forward voltage and forward current for your LEDs (it doesn't need to be accurate, so long as your series resistor is large enough to drop the voltage enough to avoid frying the LED)
  • Unless you're really fussy about exactly how bright the LED is, a simple and common place to start is somewhere around 2.2 - 2.7k up to 4.7-5.1k. Whatever you have laying about or you can get hold of easily. You can use increasingly larger values and the LED will just get dimmer.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    LED's usually take around 20-30 mA

use the equation - R=V/I

V=9
    I(amps) = 0.020 - 0.030

gives either
    450 ohms
    300 ohms
    as an inline resistor
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    Thanks guys, I wasn`t actually expecting any replies tonight,so well done that man, (all 3 of `em), i`ll go and check that out, and have a rummage in my electric spares box and see what I can find, cheers, T.
    I`m also looking for a bezel / housing of some sort to hold the LED as opposed to having it simply peeking through an orifice in the top of the pedal, any ideas anyone ?
  • My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I like the metal bezel type (above) as well. Maplins do them (I have a Maplins just round the corner from me - mind you, they never have anything in stock these days!)
    Thanks Mr handclaps, that`s just what i`m after. :)

and Mr abacus, is your Maplins in Wood Green high road by any chance ? :D
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    I like the metal bezel type (above) as well. Maplins do them (I have a Maplins just round the corner from me - mind you, they never have anything in stock these days!)
    And when they do it is grotesquely overpriced.

I needed a single resistor a while back so I took myself down to Maplin.  It cost well over 30p.  There are online sites selling singles for about 5p.  If you buy in bulk from somewhere like RS then you get even cheaper than that.

The exact value of the resistor probably isn't that critical.  There are sites that give you a calculator for it but anything between 1k and 3k should be fine.
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I`ve found a random resistor in my bitsa box, no idea what the value is, so i`ve soldered it to to one of the LED`s and stuffed it up a 9v PSU to see what happens, it seems to be working OK so far, so fingers crossed.
    Once again thanks all, cheers, T.