Shipping guitar to Slovakia - Anyone done it?

What's Hot

Some dude bought my RG on ebay last night (yippee).

But, it was marked as collection only (I did state I'd pack up if someone wanted to arrange a courier), but clearly this dude's not going to be collecting in person.

He also put in a lower offer at 23:30, then just bought it full price at 01:30. No communication other than an automated email asking for the full invoice.

So, I'm in a quandary as to whether to ship it, or just cancel his bid. Seems a bit rude that he didn't at least ask first. However, I would get full asking price.

I've checked the search, and it seems UPS through Interparcel seems the best. It's got a hard case, so I'll just bubble wrap the neck loads so it can't move, and then loads on the outside, then inside a box.

Anyone shipped a guitar to Slovakia?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 928

Tried interparcel and parcels2go, but they both say the package is too big or too heavy.

I put in 200*80*40cm and 5kg

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Good luck with that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@chillidoggy based on "that doesn't sound like fun", or "that seems like it's all going to go wrong"?

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068
    edited February 2015
    I sent a 2x12 combo to Finland using Pharos
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't bother m8, you put collection only for a reason, if anything goes wrong you lose the guitar and cash, its just not worth it at all in my book, I have had one guitar go missing and as soon as that eBay claim goes in your PayPal account goes into the red for the amount of the guitar, regardless if fault , it can take an age to sort out.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I put stuff on eBay as an advert now, and sell it in person through facebook, here or gumtree. It avoids fees and eBay's so geared towards the buyer it's ridiculous.

I'm with @mrchi with this too, cheeky fucker putting in a bid when he's not going to pick it up. I wouldn't sell it to him on principle, but I'm a bit like that. 

He could of course have a mate come get it or even live over here but not have updated his eBay account.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I will at least get a shipping quote. If it seems easy, I may go for it. I agree that if I had people round the block wanting it, I'd send him away with a flea in his ear. But I don't.

As an aside, I can't get a quote from either interparcel.com or parcel2go. I estimated dimensions of 200*80*40cm and around 7kg (probably more) but both sites say that it's either too big or too heavy.

How have others that have shipped outside of the UK managed it?

• Your dimensions are way off @gusman2x which is why you aren't getting quotes

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/art-GIT0004623-000 These guys say an Ibanez M100C (standard hard case) is 108 x 40 x 14 cm

Cheers @chrispy108 I am trying to estimate the size of the box. I also have no idea of weight, I know it'll be heavy.

Even putting in conservative dimensions/weight cheapest seems to be £60 (before insurance hike) and that's TNT. UPS was £200!

Reckon this lad aint getting a bright yellow Ibanez.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited February 2015
    Well a few websites agree on the case weighing about 6kg, and an RG being between 3-5kg, which was getting me quotes of ~£35 on interparcel.

Just get a quote, e-mail him and give him the choice.

Make sure you book the courier, not him, as you need to do it to be covered via Paypal I believe.

Thanks @chrispy108 I managed to get a similar quote to you. It's pinned on the width being below 50cm though, so I need to check to see if that's possible. The 20th anni case is quite big (and damn heavy) so I'll have to get a better details for the estimate.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    gusman2x said:

@chillidoggy based on "that doesn't sound like fun", or "that seems like it's all going to go wrong"?

The latter.

Apologies. I know my first post was a flippant response, and  wasn't exactly a helpful comment, but I've heard so many stories about it all going wrong with sending kit to other countries. I wouldn't do it, but if you do, then I hope it goes OK.

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I've sent a load of stuff to Eastern Europe before but each time the buyer has arranged the courier.

There seems to be a glut of one Man and his van type couriers taking stuff back on a weekly basis where they turn up pay you cash and they pack and take it to wherever it needs to go.

I've maybe done this 5 odd times and each time it's been a relatively smooth process although the only downside is being one man and a van is it usually takes 1-2 weeks before they pickup.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    You really need to make sure you Czech everything.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @holnrew *Boom Tish
  • If you do pull out tell him he can have mine for £500 ;)