Auto Wah/Envelope Filter?

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 662
Thinking about getting an auto wah/envelope filter. What do you guys recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    An autowah and an envelope filter are similar but they sound pretty different. Which are you looking for?
  • Doing the fishmouth thing whilst you play :-)

I have a DOD 440 clone and they have just reissued that. It's relatively subtle which is what I like about it. I find AW/EV's can get a bit burpy sounding.

At the slightly posher end the Emma Discumbobulator looks fine and if I had any actual money I could be tempted by that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If you're looking for really cheap, I quite like the line 6 otto filter. Only 25 delivered.

Soundwise, it put up a good fight against a snow white autowah clone I had, but it was waaaaay easier to dial in.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/line-6-tonecore-otto-filter-pedal.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAsJanBRCgnpfa0orvyz4SJAAbxEq-k9gXqwlFt6d7jAoal7X2kKmlqEnUum0_yOIEWksXyxoCOQ7w_wcB
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    Branshen said:
    An autowah and an envelope filter are similar but they sound pretty different. Which are you looking for?
    Leaning towards an envelope filter at the moment, they seem a bit responsive to picking hand dynamics. But I'm open to suggestions of either.
    Doing the fishmouth thing whilst you play :-)

I have a DOD 440 clone and they have just reissued that. It's relatively subtle which is what I like about it. I find AW/EV's can get a bit burpy sounding.

At the slightly posher end the Emma Discumbobulator looks fine and if I had any actual money I could be tempted by that.

Aye, that's the idea :-)  Thanks for the suggestions! 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I love my Pigtronix Envelope Phaser (ep-2). Which is an envelope filter, phaser or both together which is where the fun is. Pigtronix pedals explode on everybody else here though so I consider myself lucky that I got the only non exploding one.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Didn't know that about Pigtronix, I've got the Aria distortion and I had a Philosopher's Tone and never had any problems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't throughly recommend the mad professor Snow White. One awesome pedal I should never have got rid of :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    High praise indeed @hotpickups! Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys :-)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    The Snow White is a goodie. The best one I've heard is a vintage script logo MXR Envelope Filter and I've been through quite a few trying to find "the right one". Some sound too phaser-ish and not quacky at all.

I'm not sure if this SW Clone is still available
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/28697/

• exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    The Guyatone Wah Rocker is pretty good too.
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Mini q tron
  • TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    Sorry for butting in here guys, but would the Line 6 Otto filter be able to deal with a bass ?, as most of the info i`ve seen only refers to guitar, cheers, T.

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Digitech synth wah does the job here for me as does an istomp with the envelope filter algorithm loaded.
    edited February 2015
    Don't be sorry @TamDB the more info the better :-)
  • TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    Just in case anyone is still interested, I checked with PMT and the line 6 otto filter is not compatible with bass guitar, a bit strange IMHO, but never mind, T.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is of course the awesome Keeley Neutrino Auto Wah pedal. I have no first hand knowledge of it but it does sound great and very musical. At a price though

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Source Audio do some great envelope filter pedals
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Brad said:
    Branshen said:
    Leaning towards an envelope filter at the moment, they seem a bit responsive to picking hand dynamics. But I'm open to suggestions of either.
    In that case get a Boss AW-2, because it's one of the very few than can do both - at the same time, if you want. Not rare or expensive on Ebay.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein