Bridge stud / insert sizes?

TTonyTTony Frets: 28452
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
So, I've got a nice body that I'm just trying to finish off.  It's drilled for a LPJr style wrapover bridge - and I've got a few of those in the cupboard.

Except ... seems like all the studs I've got are 12mm diameter, and they just drop into (and then out of) the holes which seem to be 12.5mm diameter.

Wherever I look for bridges, they either don't state the diameter of the studs, or they're 12mm.

Where the holes misdrilled, or can I get some 12.5mm  (or maybe these are 1/2" ??) studs somewhere??
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I might have a spare pair - I'll check and let you know.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    I just drilled the mini ric for 12mm holes only to have to enlarge them to 1/2" for the studs I have here.   its annoying, but i was working with random parts from the drawer so to be expected really

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28452
    WezV said:
    I just drilled the mini ric for 12mm holes only to have to enlarge them to 1/2" for the studs I have here. 
    Have you any more 1/2" studs in your parts drawer, in case dchw can't find any??
    Right - having checked, I just have the inserty bits, sorry. The sockety jobs that you would then screw the bolts into. If they are of use, you're very welcome though.

Hi Dan

From your description, I think that's exactly what I need.

TonePros Locking Studs

It's the gold bits (just posted this pic so that I can then refer to the "gold" bits - colour unimportant) in the pic above - the bits that are pushed/hammered into the body, for the posts to screw into.

If that's what you've got, and they're 1/2" diameter rather than 12mm, I'd be most grateful!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    i don't think i have any more.  I spent a good 30 mins collecting all the studs, inserts and bridges the other day and frustratingly nothingseemed to match

you are best buying a complete set because even if you get the right sized inserts there is no saying the thread will match the studs (in fact it probably won't)

as a bodge you could epoxy the ones you have in place.  a more solid fix would be to plug and redrill -   it would be unnoticeable once done and very solid
    Ah excellent - yes, it's the gold bits rather than the posts (although one pair are silver).

One pair are bigger than the other, but despite my best efforts I can't get an accurate measurement, sorry. If you pm me your address though, I'll post them to you tmrw & you can see if they fit.

WezV said:
    you are best buying a complete set because even if you get the right sized inserts there is no saying the thread will match the studs (in fact it probably won't)

as a bodge you could epoxy the ones you have in place.  a more solid fix would be to plug and redrill -   it would be unnoticeable once done and very solid
    I can't find anyone selling 1/2" inserts - apart from StewMac, and it seems daft paying their prices and the shipping for a pair of inserts.  Most places - that I've looked at - in the UK are either selling smaller diameter inserts, or they don't specify the insert size.   If I could find (in the UK) something that I knew would fit, I'd buy it and avoid the hassle!

I did think about plugging and re-drilling, but the body is already finished, and I'd end up with only a very small amount of plug-wood around the insert in the hole, so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible ...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Right - the problem is twofold
    Gibson use bigger size ones and they are imperial thread too
    The metric and  some of the imperial ones are about 11.9mm , but there are some larger ones , usually imperial  that may be what you require

Allparts do a stud set that i this size

I can take a look at the size of all the ones I have, but I don't think I have anything as big apart from a new set of the allparts ones that we keep for this purpose.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I did look at Allparts, but couldn't see a set that had the actual measurements on it?  If you've got a linky ...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I might have some, are your studs metric or imperial thread?
    I think my studs will be metric as the inserts are all a nice round 12mm size ... but if you've got a 1/2" insert with studs, I'd buy them as a set to be on the safe side!
    tFB Trader

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Thanks Jonathan @FelineGuitars - would have helped if they'd put the full dimensions on the site, but if those are 13mm / 1/2", I'll grab them.

:)
    tFB Trader
    I've gone by a visual , but the insert looks to be the same size as the base of the anchor

I'll give it a go anyway, as a backup to dchwhite's offer (I'll put the spares in my spares box!).

Thanks @SteveRobinson but I'll pass for now.