Lick Library Online Subscription

What's Hot

Hi

Just wondered if anyone here was a subscriber as I am considering starting an online subscription with them, but wondered if anyone on here has one and could vouch for the quality of the online streams, if I were to go for the ultimate one, which at £27 a month would mean basically doing two DVDs a month to make it work while.

I've never used a lick library DVD and so am unsure of the quality or if they actually work.

Any opinions are welcomed.

Bob

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    I've had a couple of Lick Library DVDs and they were very good quality, and you can flog them on ebay when you're done with them so for me that's the best value.  I once bought a one-off lesson of a song and the online file was compressed far more than the DVD -- the frame rate was jumpy and it was a bit like looking at CCTV footage of a guitar lesson.  It was a while back so I'd hope quality has improved but I've never been tempted to use their online since.

In general I reckon that I'm rubbish with subscriptions, I'm like the guy who signs up for the gym for a year and goes about twice.  When I was on a massive money saving exercise the first thing I cut was all my subs (all bar one).  I didn't miss any of the ones I cut (and I still get value from the one I've kept).
  • Thanks for that Grunfeld, I hadn't really thought about looking for the DVDs used to be honest. I'll have a scout around ebay and see if there are any. I was interested in the 6 week, rock and blues courses you see and 6 DVDs at £20+ a go is quite a lot.

Are there any other good DVD courses, I've only ever heard of Lick Library to be honest.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited February 2015

6 DVDs at £20+ a go is quite a lot.

Are there any other good DVD courses, I've only ever heard of Lick Library to be honest.

Yep, it's a bit of an outlay in one hit (but compares well to lessons) -- and unless you're already well into intermediate or advanced territory in your playing I reckon you'd get a lot more than 6 weeks from them.  The other DVDs of theirs which I've seen are packed with material so I wouldn't be surprised if their "six weeks" claim is a bit optimistic. 

The other resource is YouTube.  Absolutely tons of lessons on there.  Some good, some crap.  I play in a covers band and most of the songs I learn I'll transcribe by ear, but I'll usually check YT too.  There are lessons for nearly everything.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    edited February 2015
    I think Lick Library check YouTube to make sure their content isn't on there, by contrast I've stumbled across whole dvd's uploaded that belong to other companies. However, there are LL clips/ trailers on YouTube as well as trailers on their own website so you could get a flavour of them easily enough.
    LL do run special offers from time to time so if you're in no hurry but would like to save a few quid you could hang on.
    Last year at the Birmingham guitar show one stall was selling LL dvd's on a BOGOF although I can't recall who.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    If you are single, no kids, have plenty of time on your hands and if you are going to actually be serious about getting better it's great value...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    tFB Trader
    Lick Library do a buy One Get one free deal quite often , so it is worth keeping an eye out fir these.
    The quality of the tuition is pretty nice - I really like Danny Gill, Jamie Humphries  and Mike Caswell's lessons, although they have a number of tutors, all of whom seem to know their stuff.
    What you'll learn from one DVD will last you as many as 10+ guitar lessons so good value if you have the discipline to work through them.
    You can always sell them on once you are done with them too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I've tried the true fire series, I liked the free lessons they do on YouTube so I took the plunge for the digital download. I like the quality, it has good features on the video, looping, 1/4 speed and as ta priced in $ the conversion is pretty good.

I'm lucky enough to be old, no kids and have the time to get better, well at least try!
  • Well I'll probably buy a couple of DVDs to start with then. Time to scour the evil bay!
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    +1 on truefire TV - about £10 a month and loads of resources.  easy to cancel as well and a free 30 day trial
  • I signed up to the ultimate subscription on Sunday night - so a bit early to tell!

I'm currently working through the Blues in 6 weeks as a bit of a refresher 

and the path the fret board mastery, which is quite unique in its teaching style. 

I'm also using the intermediate aerobics by danny gill as well! 

I've bought metal in 6 weeks and shred in 6 weeks by andy james, they're good and definitely will last you more than 6 weeks!

Rock Essentials, Rock Concepts and Rock something or other, by Danny Gill are excellent as well. 

I got the subscription because there are a lot of dvds on there i wanted to check out! 
  • Thanks, I'll wait for your further review. What's the quality of the streamed videos like?

• Quality is fine, It's not HD but it definitely acceptable!