Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Talk me out of buying a booster!

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited February 2015 in FX
My Pedal chain is very simple.

TU-2>Bad Monkey>DS-2

I use my amps gain channel on with a foot switch a swell.

Been thinking about getting a TC spark to drop in and replace the BM and DS-2

I would primarily use it in front of the amp for pushing that little bit harder whilst on the gain channel to take it from crunch to ear bleeding distortion.

Never had a boost pedal before so am hoping someone can school me on effective use.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What amp is it?
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Blackstar HT-5210

• GassageGassage Frets: 30949
    Don't buy a booster.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Why get a booster when you have two drive pedals that can be used as boosters? Max the volume and put it on zero gain.

Boosters are ew anyway
  • You could get the Spark booster, but I'm not sure if it would have enough gain for you on it's own.  You could use the Bad Monkey to push your amp and then use the Spark to boost the BM... 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    edited February 2015
    I have an HT-5 and I think they respond much better to a clean boost than a compressed TS-type overdrive (the HT-5 drive circuit kind of already includes a TS-type element). I used to own a Bad Monkey but rarely used it in combination with the drive channel whereas I used my (home built) clean boost into the HT-5's drive all the time. The DS-2 may be a little better with the HT-5, maybe?

So, sorry, I can't talk you out of the Spark booster. The extra eq on it would be useful, too.

:)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72666
    Or get a footswitch for the remote function on the DS-2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• d8m said:
    Blackstar HT-5210
    Ok

I use the HT-50 head, and to be honest compared to previous amps I've had (Hayden Mofo and Egnater Tweaker) the Blackstar isn't that great at being boosted. I mean, it works fine but it just doesn't sound as good as using a mid OD pedal set with the drive low and level high (I use a Timmy for that).

BTW I keep the gain quite low on the Blackstar, going for more of a classic rock sound.

I used to have a Suhr Koko Boost with the Egnater which was glorious, but it failed to get that from the Blackstar.

I do use a TC Boost in the FX loop though for a pure volume boost.

d8m said:
    Blackstar HT-5210
    Ok

I use the HT-50 head, and to be honest compared to previous amps I've had (Hayden Mofo and Egnater Tweaker) the Blackstar isn't that great at being boosted. I mean, it works fine but it just doesn't sound as good as using a mid OD pedal set with the drive low and level high (I use a Timmy for that).

BTW I keep the gain quite low on the Blackstar, going for more of a classic rock sound.

I used to have a Suhr Koko Boost with the Egnater which was glorious, but it failed to get that from the Blackstar.

I do use a TC Boost in the FX loop though for a pure volume boost.

Thanks for everyone's replies :)

I am now talked out of buying a booster, stupid GAS!

The Bad Monkey seems like it will be a far better shout!

• If you're just after a new toy get a Boss SD-1 and run that into the overdrive channel...excellent fun, harmonics just pop out, great for some 80s rock noodling ;-)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I loves me a Bad Monkey into a Marshall.

The only "clean boost" I like is an MXR Microamp in the FX loop.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I've never been one for using a booster to push my amp into crunch/distortion, only as a kind of lead boost/volume gain for some guitar parts.

If I were to try to use a boost for pushing the front end of my amp, I'd need to run my master volume at around 1 or 2, which I always feel is a bit pointless :(

What do you think a clean boost would offer you over the Bad Monkey?

If you're just after a new toy
    Rumbled!

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Buy a booster.

Or a rooster.
  • d8m said:
    Blackstar HT-5210
    Dont buy a booster!
  • d8m said:
    Blackstar HT-5210
    buy a new amp ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    d8m said:
    Blackstar HT-5210
    buy a new amp ;-)

Why?

Its a brilliant amp for my needs.

:)

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    @d8m

This is your mother. Do not buy a booster.

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Also, I have a HT-5R with both a TS9 and DS1. The TS sounds good but nowhere near the same as pushing it through something like a Marshall DSL50 stack. Save your money rather.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited February 2015

Don't buy a booster.

Buy a load of dirty pedals instead.

Just like me.

Incidentally @DesVegas looked like he'd shat himself when I told him how many I have.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)