Fuzz face for active pickups

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9836
edited February 2015 in FX
Hi all

I have a Tele with emg active t style pups in it, and they don't play nicely with fuzz faces (they are buffered style i think which causes havoc). So are there any fuzz face type pedals that can cope with it?

I presume the digital boss fuzz can.

Does that mxr classic fuzz do it? Seems to have a feature to cope after a way but I'm not sure that's the same thing?

I have an akai muff type fuzz, don't want more muff style.

Aaaaaaand go :)
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    edited February 2015
    The only one I know of:

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Have to agree on the Fuzz Tool, it's very forgiving. The Skreddy stuff is pretty relaxed about what you throw at it and where you put it too. I would have to assume the digi Boss fuzz would also work for you, although its fuzz modelling is rather lame.
  • If you want a germanium fuzz the most readily available one that will do the job is the Fulltone 69. The issue with buffers (including active pickups) is the the FF needs to load the guitar pickups down and the buffer prevents this happening. The 'bias' control (now called input I think) on the FT 69 is in fact an input trimmer that counteracts this, lowering the impedance of the signal presented to the fuzz - that wasn't actually it's original purpose but is an added benefit.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    Here's a few I like

Suhr Riot
    Skreddy Lunar
    Wamp Velvet

All worked great with my old EMG strat.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9836
    edited February 2015
    I will look/listen for the above, thanks. From reading google the fulltone seems the best fit for fuzz face, the others look more like theyd be a different flavour but i could be wrong (isn't the riot a distortion?)

For perspective, ive been trying to put together a "neat" sounding rig. Im using a little Mooer nassman head, want to switch between a boosted tone and a fuzzy tone, but want to keep it quite neat and musical sounding. If i want raucous ive already got that covered.

Think the Strokes tone on Is This It but with a nice fuzz instead of distortion. Currently using the zoom g3 but thinking of recreating buts of the path with proper pedals
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    The MXR Classic buffer switch fixes the issue I think. 

The Suhr Rufus likes buffers as do the Boss Fuzz pedals.
  • Oh the Mxr classic fuzz could be a goer then. I did think maybe the buffer thing was what was needed but as their description only talks about oscillating wahs i wasn't sure

I'm not hugely keen on the current boss fuzz (the digical one) but ive not tried it much. Hated the octavia and maestro settings (normally love octavias) but that's not what id want it for, its the fuzz face that id like

Will listen to all suggestions though

The Doors "When the music's over" is another similar tone set I'm looking to use

Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    edited February 2015
    You can have a Boss fuzz which is buffer-proof without being digital - both the FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz and the FZ-3 Fuzz are analogue.

There's also the Zoom Ultra Fuzz if you want something more flexible - it can do anything from Fuzz Face to Fuzz Factory-type sounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The boss fz2 and fz3 are apparently good with buffers and are not modelling pedals.

Not sure if they're very fuzz facey though... I'm on the lookout for one.