blown away by cube 60 and pedal

BarneyBarney Frets: 619
The other night at rehearsal i used a roland cube 60 on clean plus a dumkudo pedal with my les paul...i got a big surprise to how good it sounded.....has any body used one live at like pub volumes...i normally use valve amps but this has got me thinking for smaller venues..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31886
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes surprising combinations just work.
    One of the best SRV-type tones I ever stumbled across was a Tubescreamer into a Tech21 speaker simulator, plugged into a Marshall acoustic amp.

If it sounds good just go with it.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 619
    Yeah ...its very surprising...seemed a big sound as well....anybody use one live ?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited February 2015
    I sometimes use a Cube 60 for functions when I couldn't be asked to cart a valve amp around. I've had mine for about 10 years and it's a solid amp - no issues.

I used my pedal board directly into the Blackface Channel and it was great and the volume was good enough for gigs in rooms with about 300 people and kept up with the drummer. I particularly like the delay in it but the other fx are bit over-cooked. Yeah, my pedals sound better through a valve amp but this is no slouch. My Wampler Pinnacle sounds fantastic through it!

I never used the ext.speaker out but I understand you can run a 4x12 from one of these.

The Metal setting (supposedly modelled on a 5150) is nice if you back off the gain on the amp.

These amps are so much better than the next couple of generations of Cube but stupidly, I've provisionally sold mine to a mate but I might have to rescind on the deal.

Used bargains are to be had and I've seen this around the £90-120 mark.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    I've used a Cube 40 for small gigs. Surprisingly loud and keeps up with a fairly enthusiastic drummer.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 619
    edited February 2015
    Yep, gigged a Cube 60 for years. Plenty of volume and never needed to send a line out to the board or run an extension speaker. I have done both, but never NEEDED to. Always ran it clean on the JC setting and used a pedalboard for fx/ drive. Loved it.Recently changed it for an 80xl just cos it has a little bit more flexibility (built in tuner and looper), I think the Cube line (60 and up) make a very convenient gigging amp.