Home Practice Gear

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited August 2013 in Amps

I need something to encourage me to play at home more.

I have young kids so it needs to be quiet, or headphones…but really I’d rather it was quiet, TV volume I guess.

I’ve had a Pocket Pod, a Fender Mustang 1, and currently I’m using Amplitube with my iPhone…but I’ve not got excited about any of these so it doesn’t make me want to play.

If I get the chance (rare free time during the day or when everyone’s out) I’m straight in there using my full pedalboard and amp with a 1x12 cab, that gets me going and I look forward to playing….but I’ve just not had that feeling with any of the ‘practice’ stuff I’ve tried.

Any suggestions on kit that I might actually look forward to playing through?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33899
    Axe FX. ;)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    I tend to use my AMT C2 preamp pedal where my amp's preamp would normally go in the signal chain (ie after boost, before delay). You can either use the cab sim out (which sounds great), or into a DAW with a cab impulse loader and some free impulses (which sounds greaterer).
    <space for hire>
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Yamaha THR10, without the shadow of a doubt. :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    THR 10 (c is my choice)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ddlooping said:

Oh, good idea. I'd forgotten about those.

Is the 10 that much better than the 5 (I could look this up of course)

I wonder if Mrs DJ would accept one of those staying in the living room.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    edited August 2013
    With or without headphones ?

Major difference - PoD anything plus phones usually sounds pretty good.

Yamaha THR05/10 have a great reputation as practice amps
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ddlooping said:

Oh, good idea. I'd forgotten about those.

Is the 10 that much better than the 5 (I could look this up of course)

No idea as I haven't compared the two.
    The main advantages are power, 5 user memories and stereo.
     The latter might sound silly for such a small amp, until you have it right in front of you. The perceived spread is quite amazing, especially when using the reverb. :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566

I've been through a similar loop, I use my full rig at every possible opportunity, for the times when I can't I have owned Fender Mustang (great cleans, shite drive) and various other modellers and tried the ipad stuff.

Currently have a Yamaha THR5 and it is the best of the bunch so far, something about it just responds more like a guitar amp and it's just plain fun.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    If you want to use h/phones,   Im selling a pocket pod
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    If you want to use h/phones,   Im selling a pocket pod

Been there, but just didn't really do it for me.
  • kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    +1 on the THR amps. I have the THR10 and find those extras useful especially AUX vol input (I use mine as a PC speaker). Also great to be able to match both guitar and backing track volume. 

For more amp modelling choices, I switch it to Flat and run the modelling from the Zoom G3. Sounded pretty good for an external speaker. :) 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2035
    You'll have seen my Spend my £550 thread.

I'm very tempted by a THR 10 C and have my Superchamp X2 for sale to fund one. But I might just pull the trigger now and then add the amp cash to the remaining funds in due course for the next guitar.

Same reason - home volume, great sounds, headphone ability, iPod input, flat response if needed.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2755
    another +1 for the yamaha thr   I can't think of an amp I've owned that has had so much use!    
    It just sounds awesome for the size and at any family friendly volume.   
    All the extra features are handy and it's beyond simple to use. 

I just wish they would bring out a bigger version for gigging :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1652
    I could suggest "One" or "Five" amps, both with reverb and aux input...

But I would be accused of spamming!

Dave.
  • Another +1 for the thr10. A mate of mine just bought the thr10 c and we did a bit of a comparison between them and both came to the conclusion that the standard model is more versatile than the 'c' model. Both of us play bluesy stuff. The standard model has more gain on tap for heavier stuff with thicker meatier drive tones than the 'c'
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I recently picked up one of the new Peavey VIP's. I got the VIP2. It's pretty amazing I must say. There is loads of crap on there that will never get used unless I'm drunk but the tone and most importantly the feel is something else. It actually feels like a proper amp. A bit of dialing in to begin with like any modeling fx thing but when it's there, oh my!

Alternatively, depending on what amp you're using, I got one of these..
    http://www.toneworld.co.uk/effects-c1/buffer-pedals-c69/jhs-little-black-amp-box-p601

It sits in your FX loop and works like a master volume but one that actually works. No major change in tone and you get to play your main rig. Of course the crucial thing is that you have an fx loop.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I'm using my Boss BR-80 quite a bit for practicing on the sofa, and a bit of bedtime noodling (ahem).

Its not bad I would say.  It sounds decent enough through my headphones, and has the usual metronome/tuner/phrase trainer, and the ability to load backing tracks and jam along.  You can also record too, if thats your bag.

I still think its a bit fiddly though - it almost does too much really, and by the time I have the headphone and guitar cable plugged in, and I might have a sheet or two that I'm working on, it doesnt really feel as enjoyable as it might.  I suppose I'd like the feel of just picking up an acoustic and playing, but with the possibility to be quiet, and with at least a metronome and jam track possibility.

Of course this all means that I'll need to buy some more new gear that only differs slightly from the gear I already have, and then tell the missus 'of course its not new, Ive had it for aaages'.

;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Slightly left-field .. I recently bought one of these after trying one in a shop. Great Boss tones plus the ability to play with backing tracks .. quiet via headphones plus you can plug your iPod in and use it as a speaker system. The centre cancel function is pretty cool as well.

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1241&c=46

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited August 2013

Thanks guys. The Yamaha does look like it fits the bill perfectly.

The THD10C looks right up my street sound wise, I just wish it wasn't black. The regular THD10 looks much more living room friendly (I will need approval from the boss for this), but I reckon the sounds in the regular one would be fine anyway...that looks to be the only real difference (I think). Comparing the THD5 and the THD10 it seems to be the presets, better eq and seperate volume control for the Aux in...all useful for sure. So....the THD10 might well be the front runner.

Of course I'll need to sell some stuff first...hey look, anyone after a Flashback \/

• kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    for the first time my missus says the THR10 was the best purchase I've made lolll... she didn't mind having it in the living room.
    I have to admit, she's not really pleased with having a half stack Marshall at home.