Can you make pups without special gear?

What's Hot
And if you can, would they be any good? I want to make a guitar one day and build as much of it as possible by hand. Stuff like tuners not possible, but I figure pups could be doable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    you can rig up a winder out of many things.  I have done one with a drill press that worked but i struggled to get good tension.   but i have seen them made from sewing machines, record players, hand drills, bicycles - pretty much anything that spins.

if you search for DIY pickup winder I am sure you will find loads
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11999
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    You can make pickups with pretty much anything ... your consistency will be poor at first ... but if you settle on a simple design ... and perhaps rewind a few old pickups first ... anything is possible.
    If you are in the London area drop in ... I'll show you how the pros do it :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Is it not one of those things that can easily become more expensive to make than to buy?
    I've fallen into that form of obsession many times over all kinds of things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Wasn't someone on here selling a winder?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Wasn't someone on here selling a winder?
    Yes, it went before I got a sniff of the thread!
    You can make pickups with pretty much anything ... your consistency will be poor at first ... but if you settle on a simple design ... and perhaps rewind a few old pickups first ... anything is possible.
    If you are in the London area drop in ... I'll show you how the pros do it :-)
    There's a generous offer! 
    Sassafras said:
    Is it not one of those things that can easily become more expensive to make than to buy?
    Yep ... if you are going to think of saving money ... think again. A small roll of wire will cost you as much as a mid range pickup ... Then there are bobbins and magnets ... 
    It is a moderately expensive hobby ... and you will waste a lot of materials at first. Your cheapest 'in' is to buy a few cheap pickups for parts ... some wire ... and rewind them. You will need some sort of turn counter ...

Brocotts do wire in small quantities ... but beware ... some of it is utter crap. 

A drill press, sewing machine etc can be pressed into service as a winder
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Amazed no-one has said this already, but yes you can make pups without special gear. You just need a mummy dog and a daddy dog.

On the other hand if you mean PICKUPS, please see the "dumb terms used by guitarists" thread…

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said: Amazed no-one has said this already, but yes you can make pups without special gear. You just need a mummy dog and a daddy dog.
    On the other hand if you mean PICKUPS, please see the "dumb terms used by guitarists" thread…
    :)

Here here, I hate that term!  Katie and I  prefer the term
    pickled-pups in the workshop :-)

Sassafras said:
    Yep ... if you are going to think of saving money ... 
    Not about saving money, just about building as much of a guitar by hand as possible
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    There was a YouTube video of the luthier who rebuilt Wilco Johnson's Tele pickups. French sounding name, sorry can't remember it now. He had a really Heath Robinson winding machine made out of an old treadle sewing machine.
  • Made my first (and only) pickup when I was about 10-11 years old. Out of an old Electric motor and a magnet. Did it by hand.
    Sounded crap but it worked! 
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yep ... if you are going to think of saving money ... 
    Not about saving money, just about building as much of a guitar by hand as possible
    Well any help you need just shout ... and as I say ... you are welcome to visit 'Oily Towers' if you are near East London to get some ideas.