Boss HM-2 clones - yes, really. What is there?

What's Hot
HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22233

I am shoegazing filth. I love the HM-2. Just curious as to what there out there in pretty paintjob boutique land. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72529
    Just get a HM-2, a box of enamel paints and a small child.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited February 2015
    The Lonewolf Left Hand Wrath is on my to buy list
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Dunwich does the best one i think...there was a video that was done recently comparing some clones...ill dig it out.

But check out Dunwich...he only makes to order and it may take ages...but his also doing a hm2 kit...and a guy in ireland is building and distributing in europe.

There is ofcourse lone wolf, and a guy in the north selling it...shop is called pedal cult. But i would never buy that pedal...i dont like the way the builder conducts himself on social media.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    here's the video...these guys know their shit...

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited February 2015
    Could sell you my Valnott Thundercunt so I can make myself a Minicunt...

FWIW, the in/out/9v labels don't line up/lie.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:
    Could sell you my Valnott Thundercunt so I can make myself a Minicunt...

you have to buy that, just for the name alone!

ps...dont know if i should give that a WOW or a LOL...so just gave it a wisdom.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :D
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I've a MIJ HM-2 en route. Bring on the angry bees.
  • lol here we have the HM-3...... this pedal sucks

I like this guys honesty
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I was trying to work out if that video was a piss take... I'm still not sure.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• the guys "clean" tone certainly was
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

well, those amps dont really do clean at volume...

• Not lone wolf as in the recording artist from the North?
  • samzadgan said:

then its not a clean tone innit ;-)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Wren and cuff do a clone. To be fair though, if you want one, you should prob just get an original. Or you could buy my behringer hm300 http://www.wrenandcuff.com/#!hangman-2d/c1laa
    edited February 2015
    GavHaus said:
    Not lone wolf as in the recording artist from the North?

no...Lone Wolf...the guy who publicly (on Facebook) tells other builders that their pedals are wired bad and dont sound as good as his...he did it to Fuzzrocious and (i think even Black Arts)...but apparantly, when he got pulled up his beahviour, he said that they sorted it out off line and he helped them and gave them tips on their builds...even though those pedal makers pedals are being used by more people than his and are being used by musicians who tour the world and are known for their amazing tones (obvioulsy within the genre's)

The funniest incident was when a 6 knob HM2 clone was posted on the FB group, and without seeing the guts, he started slamming if for it being a rubbish clone and inferior to his. The builder came on the group and defended his pedal in a very professional way. Then LW made the mistake of claiming his pedal was the first ever 6 knob HM2 clone...shit got interesting at this point.

The guy from Dunwich, Nick, who is a nice guy and doesnt get involved in this stuff couldn't hold himself back...he responded, basically telling everyone that his Dunwich HM2 was the first 6 knob one (which to my knowledge it is) and how he helped LW with designing his 6 knob version.

moral of the story...the guy is a bit of knob, and from people i know who bought his pedal in the early days, they aren't even built that well.

anyway, rant over.

samzadgan said:

then its not a clean tone innit ;-)
    that be true!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    The worst guitar tone ever. Boss HM-2.

I've binned som many of these pedals in my lifetime along with Shin-Ei fuzz (Car Boot classics that they were) pedals. 

Used to buy them for a tenner and them inevitably flip them to some kid for a profit. 

Should have bought more I suppose...
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    edited February 2015
    I sold my HM-2 several years ago and have regretted it, especially since Adam Franklin of Swervedriver uses one. I was reading an article in Total Guitar which stated that the HM-2 is the pedal of choice for Scandinavian death metal guitarists too. They obviously haven't heard of the Valnott Thundercunt!  >:)
    Link to my trading feedback
    edited February 2015
    The HM-2 is the Black Metal tone. This is what people are after. It's an HM-2 into a solid state amp, because quite frankly, that's all they could afford. It is a shit sound, but it is THAT sound. Which if you're after that sound is an HM-2. Nothing else does it. It really doesn't need any controls at all other than vol as to get that sound, you dime the gain, Hi and Low, and turn up the vol as high as it'll go without squealing. You could easily build it as a one knobber.

I find the requirement for a 6 knobber quite amusing. It's REALLY easy to add mids. Not sure why you'd bother, but it is. What else are they putting on there?! The only reason for it being more than one knob for me is that if you pull the Hi and Low all the way back, it makes this awesome trashy ultra-lo-fi type distortion that's bags of fun.

The HM-2 gets stick from people who are not black metalists or into interesting, non-traditional distortion tones. It's certainly got character ;)

The original Valnott (Norwegian for walnut - see the gut-shot) skit was a piss take as to how bad black metal sounds. My pedal was a reference to that (though I do like it).

agreed...its does its own thing, and nothing else gets close to it. Its not a versatile pedal and i think most people dont like that aspect of it especially if they are not into that kind of music.

i've had it twice and both times sold it on...mainly because it wasnt my sound...but i could get a really nice distortion out of by diming everyingthing except the the highs, i had that on about 1 o'clock...and it was the best sound i got from that pedal and i loved it. But the last time i sold it, was because i could get a similar tone from another pedal.

As for the 6 knob version, not sure about LW one, but the Dunwich one he didnt really make a clone. He completely redesigned a lot of, taing  the characteristics of the HM2 and making it into a moster thick distortion pedal that can cover a lot of ground. His stuff is tailored to doom folk, so the tone shapping on his one is a lot more versatility than the original and allows a lot thicker bottom end too...but also it can do the HM2 thing too.