Tone control wrong way around on 1st build Jazzmaster

What's Hot
Hi,

Over Xmas I did my first build. A Jazzmaster type guitar from Gear4Music. Everything is fine apart from 1 thing: on the 1 and only tone knob, the trebly is where the bass should be and vice versa. Have I wired something wrong. The guitar is perfect apart from that. maybe Jazzmasters are like this, I don't know? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know there are far more knowledgable people on here than me.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    edited February 2015
    Hi Paul. Sounds like one of you wires is soldered to the wrong tag on the pot. Looking down into the control chamber with the prongs pointing upwards, the hot wire from the volume pot should be attached to the left prong.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    edited February 2015
    Looking down into the control chamber with the prongs pointing upwards, the hot wire from the volume pot should be attached to the left prong.
    That depends on which way you're looking at it :).

It should look like this, as you look at the pot from inside the guitar:

It doesn't actually matter which of 2 and 3 is connected to the cap, or whether the cap goes to ground or the volume control with the other terminal grounded - all will work. What's important is to use terminals 2 and 3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    edited February 2015
    Sorry, @ICBM ..... When I said prongs pointing upwards, I was forgetting that they are actually pointing upwards too. I should have said outwards/upwards from the pot disc. A picture would have been clearer, especially with me coming from Wolverhampton and all :)) Your picture illustrates nicely :)
  • Thanks Andy, you come to the rescue yet again! Is there anything you can't do? LOL Thank you so much. I'll strip the strings off sometime this week and swap the wires. Much appreciated.
  • Thanks Andy, you come to the rescue yet again! Is there anything you can't do? LOL Thank you so much. I'll strip the strings off sometime this week and swap the wires. Much appreciated.
    Yeah - I can't sing.   But to every-bodies' horror, I try.... ;)

...and when it comes to most things electrical, model identification, refurb, and repair, I'm not even in the same league as @ICBM!    
  • Oh How rude of me. I thought all the replies were from Andy. Thank you very much for the diagram @ICBM. Hope you don't think me rude. Apologies. Much, much appreciated.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    It's not even my diagram, I just found it online :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom