Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A thought about wood & government legislation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Chalky said:
    And where can we read about the Feds snapping off Tokai heads? Which published magazine or newspaper - you know, the ones where someone else has to verify the truth of the story before it goes into print or on to their website. Google just points me to forums where people say "yeah, I remember reading that SOMEWHERE....." My emphasis of course. :))
    I'm sure I heard about it in one of the pubs that gets told by the council to take union jacks down everytime there's a football tournament on....?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    My understanding is that it's ok if you are travelling with the guitar as a personal possession.

It's shipping it that is the problem.  I read about a guy from Canada who tried to ship his guitar back to Taylor for them to do work on it and it got impounded.  The other issue is that I'm not sure if there is any right of appeal.  If the Customs guy decides that your Indian Rosewood guitar is Brazilian then I think you are stuffed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've got a friend who's cousin's got a friend who knows someone who's cousin was beheaded by the US government at a black site on an Island off Mozambique because his guitar's tuner buttons were made of rare ebony. True story.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    crunchman said:
    My understanding is that it's ok if you are travelling with the guitar as a personal possession.

It's shipping it that is the problem.  I read about a guy from Canada who tried to ship his guitar back to Taylor for them to do work on it and it got impounded.  The other issue is that I'm not sure if there is any right of appeal.  If the Customs guy decides that your Indian Rosewood guitar is Brazilian then I think you are stuffed.

Yes this is what I'd heard

There's an article here

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22496
    edited February 2015
    jeztone2 said:
    I just think there's a really sinister agenda to asset strip ordinary people. The Vintage Wine Market hasn't dropped by 60% but the vintage electric guitar market has. It's getting harder to buy a house. Work is becoming more casualised. We're heading to a US style casualised economy, but we don't have their prices.
    The vintage wine market hasn't tanked because you've had a major new market for wine developing: China. It's a shitty country for grape growing. Consequently the wealthy folk there will happily buy vintage wine from overseas.

Guitars... yes. You haven't got a new flock of wealthy people out there from the like of India, China, and the usual suspects who want to buy them. More people are happy to go for a modern instrument.

• It's true they are impounding some guitars. I bought one on ebay from California last year and it made it to US customs before they stopped it being exported because it might've had Braz board (lol £200 men strat ). I got an immediate Refund from ebay / paypal which I am sure Stated reason was export of listed goods or something. The seller told me same story, about the Braz. Of course he may have filled the case with coke.

I'm still guessing it wasn't Himmler at US customs though.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3688
    It's mostly hearsay isn't it? Although of course CITES is a good thing IMO.

If you don't take your Brazilian rosewood guitar to the US you have nothing to worry about.

I doubt you will get the Gestapo knocking at 4 'o clock in the morning to inspect your instruments.

;)
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Chalky;532041" said:
    And where can we read about the Feds snapping off Tokai heads? Which published magazine or newspaper - you know, the ones where someone else has to verify the truth of the story before it goes into print or on to their website. Google just points me to forums where people say "yeah, I remember reading that SOMEWHERE....." My emphasis of course. :))
    Perhaps I should have emphisised STORY. I read about it on a Tokai fanpage but please continue to shoot the messenger.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    Chalky said:
    So everyone else is an idiot who believes in a load of bollocks but as far as you're concerned once it's published in a magazine or newspaper it's instantly 100% true?

:D
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited February 2015
    US imports last year totalled almost $3,000,000,000,000. But some folks believe the 'Feds' (who are these people?) spent their time opening cargo and boxes to find a guitar whose construction might includes woods controlled by the Lacey act and in the most litigious country in the world they unilaterally decide to destroy the guitar without notice or compensation.

Surely there must be some crashed alien spacecraft or the real assassin of Kennedy involved in this policing of international wood movement? :))
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    I never said I agreed with them, I was just pointing out that newspapers and magazines are frequently full of guff as well. :D
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Chalky said:
    US imports last year totalled almost $3,000,000,000,000. But some folks believe the 'Feds' (who are these people?) spent their time opening cargo and boxes to find a guitar whose construction might includes woods controlled by the Lacey act and in the most litigious country in the world they unilaterally decide to destroy the guitar without notice or compensation.

Surely there must be some crashed alien spacecraft or the real assassin of Kennedy involved in this policing of international wood movement? :))

It was a joke, Jesus don't get your knickers in a twist or you'll snap your g-string.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    See my laughing emoticon in last message :)