measure drill holes for tuners (idiots question)

I have bought some tuners that need a drill hole put in the neck.   stupid question but how do you line them up so they are all straight? just measure a distance from the top of the headstock?? ie 20mm and drill there??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I put them in place and run a line of masking tape top and bottom to line them up against. Using the tape as a guide place each one, mark the hole and drill. Obviously don't need to mention a piece of tape or equivalent on the drill bit to make sure you don't go too deep. Just how I do it sometimes.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    Thanks, do you need to worry about the angle ?
    Is the screw on an offset tab? Of course I didn't ask if it was six in line or three a side.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    6 in line, the screw is bottom right corner. Just below the tuner.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111603285083?nav=SEARCH
    Those aren't bad tuners, I've used them before.  OK, that might actually be a bit easier.  Run a piece of masking tape along the back of the headstock under the tuner holes. fit the tuners and tighten the nuts on the front just so they are finger tight and the tuners don't move around.  Get a ruler and put it against the top of the tuner bodies to line them all up.  Mark with pen, pencil or best of all a sharp point where the screw holes are.  Remover the tuners, drill carefully, remove the tape, put it all back together.  Go easy on the fixing screws as they can be made of cheese and strip or break if you are too heavy handed.  A #1 phillips head screwdriver is needed.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    Richardj said:
    Go easy on the fixing screws as they can be made of cheese and strip or break if you are too heavy handed.  A #1 phillips head screwdriver is needed.

a bit of wax on the threads will help prevent breaking these screws.  but yeah, use the right screwdriver and drill the pilot hole the same size as (or slightly bigger than) the screw shaft and slightly smaller than the threads.

If you ever feel you are forcing it, stop, reverse,  and take it out.  much easier than digging out a broken screw

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

I think if I were doing this I would make a template out of 1" MDF and get holes drilled in it on a drill press thus ensuring they are in line and dead square in both planes to the surface.

Dave.

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    A piece of masking tape on the drill bit the same depth as the screw thread is essential....unless you like the headstock resembling a piece of  emmental cheese...don't ask me how I know!
  • WezV said:
    Richardj said:
    Go easy on the fixing screws as they can be made of cheese and strip or break if you are too heavy handed.  A #1 phillips head screwdriver is needed.

a bit of wax on the threads will help prevent breaking these screws.  but yeah, use the right screwdriver and drill the pilot hole the same size as (or slightly bigger than) the screw shaft and slightly smaller than the threads.

If you ever feel you are forcing it, stop, reverse,  and take it out.  much easier than digging out a broken screw

so much this. I definitely didn't break a screw when fitting my Klusons to my mascis. No way. And I definitely didn't have to take it to my tech, apologise for my idiocy, then pay him to rectify it.