BOSS DD3 needs reviving!

What's Hot
erky32erky32 Frets: 49
My DD3 has gone bad. Instead of a nice clean echo, it attempts to echo but then dies in a farty distorted manner. This happens in all settings. Can these be cost effectively repaired, or with a market afloat with cheaper Chinese replacements is it better to scrap it and move on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A second hand DD3 can be had around £40.

Once you get a diagnostics and factor in parts and labour it could be pricey.

Have you tried a google search on the problem you are having? It might be an easy fix. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • They can definitely be repaired. This lists some common fail symptoms and causes.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    A boss pedal gone bad??? You must be lying, that never happens ;)

Great thing about Boss, as said above, is that it can be replaced quickly.  You might end up paying more than the £40 to get it repaired
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Thanks for replies
    @steamabacus  I'm interested in checking out the circuit potential problems when I've time, thats a good ref you sent.
    I live in remote SW France where replacement bits & pieces are limited availability (thank goodness for internet eh!), certainly if I put it into a diagnostics music shop down here I'd soon exceed the replacement cost. Looking on the web there seem to be a lot of minis out there for around 30€ ....Donner, Joyo etc. I'm a bit tempted to try one of those ......anybody got any reports on these?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    joeyowen said:
    A boss pedal gone bad??? You must be lying, that never happens ;)

Great thing about Boss, as said above, is that it can be replaced quickly.  You might end up paying more than the £40 to get it repaired
    The older ones are definitely starting to show problems now - mostly due to failing electrolytic caps, but sometimes other things - and some of the newer models don't seem quite as 100% reliable as the older ones did when they were new. (I've seen several dead TU-2s for example, although to be fair it's probably their biggest seller of the modern ones.)

Still an impressively low failure rate given that they've made over ten million of them over the last 35 years, and that they're not actually that expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• A second hand DD3 can be had around £40.

Factor in the silly bids I see going for "broken- spares/repairs" pedals on ebay and the above looks an even better idea.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1751
    You'll be very surpised - my Broken DS-1 ( i broke it being an idiot) went for over £20 a couple of years back. You can score a working model for less than that (which i did)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom