Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

This is more than just a paint crack right?

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Hard to tell from that pic, but how on earth would the wood split there? Is it not just a crack in a thick finish?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Looks like you need some wood glue and some clamps to me! 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    Yeah that's what I thought if it's spilt well played, how on earth did you do it? Could the neck of been wrenched? Rest of the guitar looks great no damage? I'll see it in person soon.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    From your photo that definitely looks like a crack in the wood. You need to get all the neck and pickguard off and see how far it extends. :(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks nasty, but you'd need to see it in the 'wood' to know for sure, I think..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    Try cutting a long thin slip of paper and inserting it into the crack and see if it slides in more than. A few millimeters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    Definitely more than a paint crack.

But it's very clean and in an area which is easy to clamp, so it should be easily repairable. If you don't mind seeing the hairline you won't even need to touch the finish up.

Tom Delonge Strat… great guitars. Every one I've played, either the expensive one or the cheaper one, has been a very resonant, great-sounding guitar. Nothing like a Strat of course, before any purists object ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    If that's a Squier, from experience, yes that is a crack in the wood... I've seen three like of that (early 90s, right?) when the neck receives a mortal blow (either from the top or side) and the wood kinda shatters... on one, the paint and scratchplate was holding it together.

Nasty...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Cheers guys, it's a fender not squire and I've wanted one for a while but will need to see this better I think before I part with any monies
    The good news is that being a Delonge, there's no neck pickup rout so it shouldn't have compromised the strength of the neck pocket.

I would still want to see under the guard before buying it though, unless it's very cheap. Like about half the price they usually go for.

I'd also want to check the neck for damage at the headstock end particularly, since *something* did that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Chuck a clamp on it , and see if it begins to close ?
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Could that happen if some hapless fool forced a neck in which was (by good judgment) too wide to fit?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11698
    tFB Trader
    Is the seller trying to pass that off as a paint crack? FFS!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Yeah I've made it clear it's not a paint crack, he's too far to warrant the travel on an item with an issue so I'm going to leave it alone. Thanks for all your responses chaps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    Could that happen if some hapless fool forced a neck in which was (by good judgment) too wide to fit?
    Trying to lever one that was too tight a fit *out* might do it…

Either that or it's fallen very hard onto the front of the headstock - eg forwards off a guitar stand - which will have 'whiplashed' the floor of the neck pocket backwards. If so there may be no visible damage on the headstock since the tops of the tuner posts will have take the impact - but there could be other problems, including internal cracks in the neck around the truss rod channel.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Oddly enough, there's another one on ebay with a crack in the same place although not quite as bad as this one.
  • I would leave it as is, that crack could make a very handy plectrum holder!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I got one of those on my MIM Standard Strat.  I swear it makes it sound better.  As long as, after investigation a lump of wood isn't about to fall off, I wouldn't worry about it, adds to the character.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock