So I picked up an Epiphone 56 Goldtop Les Paul (P90s)

What's Hot
Picked up a Korean Epi LP over the weekend. It's in really good nick, grover tuners, needs a bit of a setup, but I'll get to that eventually.

I plan on putting a bigsby on it down the line, probably one of the vibramate jobbies.

I notice some of the volume and tone knobs look a bit off in position. Some of them are pushed further down that others, but again, an easy fix.

Are there any small upgrades I could carry out to really improve this guitar? Such as new pots?

I wouldn't necessarily look into changing the P90 pickups on it just yet, but would be curious to hear what others have done.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd change everything except the wood, if I were you! :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • If it was me I would fully rewire it, switchcraft 3 way and CTS 500k pots.  The Epi P90s are suppose to be ok but i've not owned them myself.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'd leave it be if it sounds OK and everything's working as it should.
    I subscribe to the old fashioned philosophy of: if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A bigbsy would be the biggest expense. It would probably be as much as the guitar itself! I might rethink the bigbsy!

But if wiring and pots could enhance it, I'd go for it. A relatively inexpensive upgrade.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11009
    tFB Trader
    I have the philosophy of playing any guitar I get for a while dead stock ... even if I think I might upgrade parts later. This gives you a feel for what the instrument needs ... not just what would be cool :-)
    Most Epiphones these days have halfway decent pickups ... and even the mini pots fitted as standard on many are smooth and will probably last a good long time. 
    I'd suck it and see for a while ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I have the philosophy of playing any guitar I get for a while dead stock ... even if I think I might upgrade parts later. This gives you a feel for what the instrument needs ... not just what would be cool :-)
    Most Epiphones these days have halfway decent pickups ... and even the mini pots fitted as standard on many are smooth and will probably last a good long time. 
    I'd suck it and see for a while ... 

Wise words from t'weasel.

Though a £27 Bigsby clone, can only be a good thing ;)

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @JookyChap the link doesn't work for me.
  • A bigbsy clone could be justified. I suppose, I'd have to make holes in the body to fit it. Maybe a vibramate might be like putting alloys on an old Ford Fiesta.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Sassafras said:
    I'd leave it be if it sounds OK and everything's working as it should.
    I subscribe to the old fashioned philosophy of: if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    This. 

Just play it for a while and see what you think. You'll soon know if you need to swap something. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    I bought one for my oldest son when he showed some interest and aptitude on his clone strat starter. The Epi 56 goldtop was a very resonant guitar and when set up properly it played like (insert favourite spread here)! I suspect it was made of several bits of timber joined and not traditional mahogany but a family member, the guitar was not heavy for a LP.
    I was content that the onboard electrics functioned well enough and would have happily gigged it had I not already had a 335 to cover that tonal area.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5009
    Just enjoy it and play it my friend.  A Bigsby will introduce an element to the guitar, one that you may or may not like.  AFAIK the string length is longer with a Bigsby fitted.  Again AFAIK this results in higher tension on the strings.  Stock, an Epi LP is a nice guitar to play, with longer strings that niceness might have gone.  Apologies if my understanding of string lenghts/tension is wrong.  But my main point is to play the guitar as it is and enjoy it for what it is.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Yeah, you're right. The Bigsby idea would be something I'd put on the long finger anyway.

A vibramate would be a simple enough procedure, but I don't know if I can justify the cost of it on a cheap guitar...

It's in need of a set up, as it was just lying around, but other than that, it's in great nick.

Even as it is, it plays relatively well.

I moved on a Jap Tokai LP custom recently, and I almost prefer the feel of the Epi. The neck "feels" slightly slimmer and it's a lighter guitar as well.
    Adam_MD said:
    Sorry Try This

• Personally I'd post a friggin picture of it!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JookyChap;532713" said:
    Adam_MD said:

Sorry Try This
    @JookyChap interesting. Have you used one on any of your builds Jooks? That's if you can remember ;) I wonder if they'll fit a vibramate. I'll check the dimensions later I've got an epi les Paul that needs a bigsby.
    I used the B5 version on a couple and I've bought one to put on a Harley Benton LP - though they delivered two stylophones instead, and it doesn't look great on them.

They are pretty good - heavier, but not much, and chrome rather than aluminium, but they do the job nicely enough. The Bigsby springs are a bit shorter, but they fit if you want to upgrade (cost a quid or two)

I'm 99% sure that they won't match up with a Vibramate, certainly the B5 one didn't and I'm sure I read somewhere that they are based on a B70 or B700 instead of the B7, but worth checking

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1766

i've a korean epi 56 goldtop too.

It's currently my main gigging guitar. Works perfectly well for me, sounds good, stays in tune, plays well and looks blinding too.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I'd post a friggin picture of it!

I have the scratch plate too, so need to put it on again.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JookyChap;532928" said:
    I used the B5 version on a couple and I've bought one to put on a Harley Benton LP - though they delivered two stylophones instead, and it doesn't look great on them.

They are pretty good - heavier, but not much, and chrome rather than aluminium, but they do the job nicely enough. The Bigsby springs are a bit shorter, but they fit if you want to upgrade (cost a quid or two)

I'm 99% sure that they won't match up with a Vibramate, certainly the B5 one didn't and I'm sure I read somewhere that they are based on a B70 or B700 instead of the B7, but worth checking
    Cheers dude just the info I needed. I really want to use a vibramate do I'll need to use a B7.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Don't put the scratchplate back on!
    They look much better without them.