Any Rival To The Ibanez SR500 Bass?

What's Hot
I've decided I need a second recording bass.  I don't want to spend the earth but want something decent.  I did a lot of reading yesterday and had narrowed it down to the Ibanez SR500.  I now feel maybe I have woken up with tunnel vision towards.  Are the any reasonable alternative to it in the price bracket?  I really don't care about looks as it's never going to leave the studio.
My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What features do you want?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12067
    SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 320
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    What's your budget? You can get German Warwicks for great prices these days and they do it all, bass collection are great, but you have to search for them.

There are a few Japanese Fender precision knocking about for 500.
  • SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 320
    Too far I'm afraid.
    What features do you want?

@ThePrettyDamned ; - TBH mate it's going to be quite limited I think.  I have a Burn Bison bass in standard tuning that I use for most things.  The main reason for getting another is that I have two projects coming up (one hard rock and the other I've been asked to work on is a Doomy/Sludgey soundtrack piece) and they are both in drop-C# or drop-C.  Not only is there the issue with lack of string tension but due to the fact I can be working on one thing today and another tomorrow restringing is uneconomical and even retuning is a pretty much unviable.  I had a second Precision Bass but I've stripped it to refinish and rebuild and is unlikely to happen until summer the way work is looking.

So in short the new bass is most likely to be the dropped tuned one.  I had considered a Troy Sander sig Jaguar Bass which Richtone had a secondhand Fender for £500 or a new Squier for £230.  However someone has offered me a used Ibby SR500 for the same £230 so seems like a good idea.

• prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Sr500 with the ash body. Much wider range of dynamics than the mahogany one. You can dial it back to a precision style gentle hum but it really has great acoustic attack when you want to go at it for slap or plectrum.
  • mrchi said:
    What's your budget? You can get German Warwicks for great prices these days and they do it all, bass collection are great, but you have to search for them.

There are a few Japanese Fender precision knocking about for 500.
    Budget is up to around £500 but wouldn't mind saving a bit to put toward a pair of Rode NT5 mics (which are £220).
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    consider a btb ibanez, bartoloni pickups, and great playability and you. Can get them for 300, amazing basses.
  • randomhandclaps;534408" said:
    ToneControl said:

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 320

Too far I'm afraid.

ThePrettyDamned said:

What features do you want?

@ThePrettyDamned  - TBH mate it's going to be quite limited I think.  I have a Burn Bison bass in standard tuning that I use for most things.  The main reason for getting another is that I have two projects coming up (one hard rock and the other I've been asked to work on is a Doomy/Sludgey soundtrack piece) and they are both in drop-C# or drop-C.  Not only is there the issue with lack of string tension but due to the fact I can be working on one thing today and another tomorrow restringing is uneconomical and even retuning is a pretty much unviable.  I had a second Precision Bass but I've stripped it to refinish and rebuild and is unlikely to happen until summer the way work is looking.So in short the new bass is most likely to be the dropped tuned one.  I had considered a Troy Sander sig Jaguar Bass which Richtone had a secondhand Fender for £500 or a new Squier for £230.  However someone has offered me a used Ibby SR500 for the same £230 so seems like a good idea. 
    If you could stretch, definitely a musicman sub USA. Black one on ebay at the moment. Poplar body, cool finish and amazing neck, great tuners and pickup... Proper lovely basses. Single pickup, but versatile tonally regardless - unless you really do need a neck pickup, obviously.

Not played an sr500 but I've not been disappointed with Ibanez basses that I have played, until the very budget end, so it'll be a decent bet for sure, especially for that money.
  • @ThePrettyDamned - OK I must confess that the SUB bass thing confuses me a bit.  I found an old thread where Ian suggested one to meltedbuzzbox over a Sterling so I checked them out but every 'SUB' said 'SUB by Sterling'.  Are they different?
  • randomhandclaps;534496" said:
    @ThePrettyDamned - OK I must confess that the SUB bass thing confuses me a bit.  I found an old thread where Ian suggested one to meltedbuzzbox over a Sterling so I checked them out but every 'SUB' said 'SUB by Sterling'.  Are they different?
    Yes.

So, newer ones (sub by sterling) are far eastern copies licensed by musicman. By all accounts, they're pretty good.

The original sub basses (and sub sterling, which had 22 frets and a smaller body... Confused yet?) were made in the USA by musicman with all USA hardware, electronics etc. The money saving was by using Poplar - a good tone wood, but ugly - and a cheap, single coat of textured finish (that looks great in black or white - mine was blue, and okay but not amazing to look at). The rest was pretty much just a made in USA musicman and very, very good quality. Shame they're discontinued...
  • I would go towards music man if at all possible (Sterling or whatever the cheaper alternatives are)

I have high praise for the Squier Vintage modified Jazz bass. Well impressed with that for the price. (I am no bass player though)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Have you ever played a music man @randomhandclaps
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Have you ever played a music man @randomhandclaps

@meltedbuzzbox Yes.  I love them and ideally would buy one but you know how it is?!

Going to check out the Thomann deal.

• Although now I'm on Thomann I'm back to this -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_troy_sanders_jaguar_bass.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • you dont need to sell me on offset fenders :-)

I am thinking if you dont get that Troy Sanders you will regret it?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2015
    I am thinking if you dont get that Troy Sanders you will regret it?
    Tragically that is the truth.  If I bought the SUB I think I would ALWAYS think about the TS I didn't buy!
  • job done then sir?
  • Second hand G&L tribute (or even a new one if thomann are still doing them crazy cheap).

Yamaha BB series or TRB series.