This guy is amazing

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited February 2015 in Guitar
A friend showed me this video yesterday, by a chap called Mateus Asato. I was blown away.

So I found some more of his stuff:

And this video of him noodling on a Suhr Strat:

One of the freshest and most interesting players I've seen in ages, really cool. Amazing technique but really musical, sometimes he seems like more of a percussive acoustic player, but then he'll follow an acoustic-ish idea immediately with something very electric-sounding, so it's difficult to pin down. He doesn't sound like anyone else I've heard. I like the tunes as well. And his tone! Absolutely gorgeous sound.

So yeah, I thought I'd share him on here in the hope that others will enjoy his playing as much as I do.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    Very nice. Can't help thinking the frst two need a little more space and dynamics, it's a bit full on, but it is refreshing you're right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    Lovely playing and he is not helping the GAS for a Suhr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You know you want to lol...

Yes, different sort of playing. Good to see somebody not playing the "same old"..
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    yep that was great :)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1641
    That last one reminds me of Micheal Landau - no bad thing!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    There's no doubt the dudes super talented but I can't listen to that without being bored, I like stuff with a tune or melody.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice. It's a very 'posh' guitar tone ( and I guess it should be given that gear) and it would be interesting to hear him in a context other than short instrumentals. But nice. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @Bucket I really enjoyed that. One of the most refreshing players I've heard in a long time. Totally agree with the percussive acoustic comments.

Thanks dude
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Guy reminds me of a type of fellow sax-player I've known over the years. Technically brilliant without a shred of doubt but no sense of 'audience'. They'd go into a 16 bar break and then be gutted when no-one in the pub audience applauded at the end. They couldn't understand it when the next guy would play a tenth of the notes (that were simply a variation or ornamentation of the basic melody) and get full applause.

But thats just me...
  • I like the first piece but it almost sounds too messy on one guitar in some parts and at that pace.  I think he's pretty awesome but it feels like he's rushing the pace - not as in he's playing ahead of time, just he's playing the piece too fast if he wants it all on one guitar.

It sounds as if he's influenced by acoustic guitar players such as Andy McKee in some of his arrangement style which is nice to see on electric.

Does a looper or backing track cut in at 1:05? Because the string slapping is happening when he's clearly not doing it. I tried listening to it again a few hours later after lunch and a beer just to see if my view would change but I agree with others that it sounds too hectic.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Technically he is very good, far better than I am, but it is kind of boring and there's no real hook.
  • wonderful talent,  nice compositions, technically brilliant, faultless playing but can he play sex on fire on a Saturday night at the dog and duck in front of a pissed hen night?
    Wisdom to @midlifecrisis because he said it so more eloquently than I did :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Me like. Good player.