guitar wiring.

markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
I did my first rewire on a guitar last year. 2x humbucker with coil taps on both with push / pull pots.

I was going to have another go and try the same thing but add out of phase as well. I don't want to add switches if possible, so could i do this be done any other way? using the pick up selector?

It's going to be on a telecaster that has 3 way switch, 1x tone, 1x vol and  a micro switch.

Also is this very difficult? I enjoyed the experience last time, and the extra sound options you get. 

Cheers

M
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I just found this one, using a 5-way "super-switch" - for out of phase sounds, I've found that I prefer to have the pickups in series instead of parallel (as in this link) as it generally avoids a drop in output - parallel out of phase can sound a bit weak and quiet. The super-switch can be a bit of a close fit in a tele control rout, as it's more bulky. But FWIW anyhow: http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/5way_tele.gif

Not sure if there's a simpler way to get out of phase just using a 4 or 5 way standard switch.
    Just read your post properly - I'd missed that there is a micro switch duh, but that means that it is certainly possible to have the micro-switch as a phase reverse. I'll see if I can find a diagram.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
    @Megii  - thanks for the help.
    markblack said:
    @Megii  - thanks for the help.
    No worries - there is a common mod to fit a 4 way switch to a tele, which gives the addition of neck+bridge in series, which is a tone a lot of people seem to find useful. I'm thinking that this, plus an additional phase reverse micro switch, would be a cool circuit for a tele. I might have to jot down a diagram myself for that, but should be able to post something.

One thing with fitting a phase reverse to tele pickups is that you generally have to fit a third wire to one of the pickups - this is because the bridge pickup has the metal baseplate, and there is the metal cover on the neck pickup. Both of these are normally grounded/earthed with the wire going to the earth side of the circuit. But when you flip the phase of the pickup, then the cover or baseplate is then connected to the hot side of the circuit, and can act like an aerial, picking up noise, which is not good (been there, I know this from experience). So a separate wire, going to either the cover or baseplate is needed,  so that this can be always connected to the earth side of the circuit.

Anyhow, I'll see what I can come up with in the way of diagrams. :)
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
    edited February 2015
    ;Megii  I should of mentioned the tele in question has humbuckers! sorry that just occurred to that I had missed that (idiot)  I was going to replace the humbuckers that are in it at the moment, so I might got for something that gives me more options. don't put yourself out though, just picking a few brains on here.

guitar in question...

Probably makes life easier with the 2 buckers, although there can still be a similar issue with the grounding of the humbucker baseplate when you reverse the phase. But a lot of humbuckers are fitted with a separate wire grounding the baseplate anyhow these days.  If you're buying new ones, and you're into wiring mods, I'd make sure to get them with a 4-core plus shield wire fitted, then you can pretty much go for any kind of wiring scheme you might fancy.