Erm... I must be missing something...

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
Am I missing something...?

I know that this is from the same era as Gilmour's Red '57 RI, I know the neck profiles of these are a bit 'unique' and I know its not a common colour, but FFS that's three times the cost of a later AVRI. Its not in collector condition and so why so expensive?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice n all, but yeah, I'd want 3 and a half of them for that cash.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31071
    edited February 2015
    OK- so, 82-84 was a consolidation era at Fender. They made a decision to make fewer models better post CBS and that RI series was beautifully made if not the most authentic RI's.

These were all made from superlight wood, built by people like John Page, John English and JW Black, the founder masterbuilders Abby made pickups.

They're thin skin nitro and the necks are fabled for being uber-skinny with lovely rolled edges.

Effectively they're the forerunners of MB CS Strats and they are deliciously good.

I'm not sure if the DG assoc has increased value, but as instruments, a great great period and demand has put the prices where they are, nothing else.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    Yes but this guitar is *not* in investment grade condition. Look at the state of the neck pocket - clearly stripped threads and a shim at the 'headstock' end of the pocket, so it needs a fall away... 

Hmmm - I'm not convinced. But each to their own, I guess.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31071
    impmann said:
    Yes but this guitar is *not* in investment grade condition. Look at the state of the neck pocket - clearly stripped threads and a shim at the 'headstock' end of the pocket, so it needs a fall away... 

Hmmm - I'm not convinced. But each to their own, I guess.

I'm not commenting on this guitar, more the era. And Id value that at 2500.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    OK, fella. I'm with you there... I'd put it *at best* at £2500. If I was buying, I'd be pushing for significantly less based on the state of that neck (its clearly either been on another guitar).

• its worth 5g for this description alone

The rosewood board gives a deep blues tone
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • and the blues paint also gives a blues tonez
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's really funny. Sounds like he's selling penny stock from a boiler room

I'm not getting a lot of interest in the Ric I'm selling, I wonder if I should instead stick it on ebay for 4 grand with some ridiculous write up and flowery language about how the price of 00s Rics are soaring in value while 60s ones are stagnating? Corfu for Christmas!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    "...these are fine investments...my bet is in 5 years these will be selling for $10,000 and above..."

...but a 300% return in 5 years just isn't enough for me...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    He doesn't know how to string up those split post tuners.
    Nice guitar but he's being a bit optimistic.
  • That's overpriced and with a shim in the neck pocket, the way it's been strung at the headstock end (I actually had a LOL when I saw how it's strung) and the language he's used in the description I'm not entirely sure he knows what he's doing. Bit of a chancer if you ask me.
  • Heh heh just seen those tuners :-)

I know we're all having a bit of a laugh about it, but are there people out there who'd actually go for it?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • Ludicrous price! A 'player grade' pre-CBS Strat wouldn't cost much more.

The bodies and headstocks are the 'wrong' shape - which might not matter 'much' - except they are meant to be vintage reissues and the first Japanese 'Fender' branded Squiers from the same era were spot-on....

I'm sure it's a nice enough guitar - but the price is just a joke....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited February 2015
    Good God, ebay really has become a quagmire of the worst kind of bottom dwelling Guitar seller. 
    The good old days of hunting for gems at realistic prices has truly disappeared. 
    Now we have this tripe to deal,with. 

eBay has well and truly destroyed the fun of guitar buying.