Is it possible to make... (loop switching type thing)

What's Hot

A switcher that allows you to put an effect either between your guitar and the front end of your amp or in the amp's effects loop?

How would you wire it up? I can't for the life of me get my head around electronic switching. It just makes my brain hurt.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A 4PDT switch would do it, I think? But might give trouble with ground loops.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Certainly is. In fact, I think I made something similar a while back. Any switching is possible with enough relays :)
  • Certainly is. In fact, I think I made something similar a while back. Any switching is possible with enough relays :)

How did you do it? Is it something a numpty with a soldering iron could slap together?

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Erm probably not - I make effects pedals for a living and switching units are the real headscratchers for me. Some jacks need to be grounded whilst others are active, sometimes requires buffering / transformer isolating etc. 
  • jase128jase128 Frets: 6
    edited March 2015

here a drawing (if it works for a loop circuit) hopefully this is what your looking for...image

i dont think my pic posting is working?  just google tagboardeffects and search for a true bypass looper!

hope this helps

Jason

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158

That's not quite what I'm after. Basically, I want a loop that can be switched between the front of the amp and the effects loop. 

So option 1 is:

Guitar -> loop -> amp front end <=> effects loop

...and option 2 is

Guitar -> amp front end <=> effects loop (loop

Basically, I have a flanger pedal that sounds really good pre-distortion, but also sounds good post. Rather than have to choose where to put it, or buy two identical pedals I thought it would be great to be able to switch the position of the pedal in the signal chain. I've heard of effects order switchers and wondered if there might be a similar gadget that could do this, or at least a way to build one myself...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I would expect that unless the flanger is something very expensive and quite large, it would actually be cheaper, less hassle and probably less board space just to buy a second one. You could then set it differently for each place as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    Specially now you can buy this... 
    http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-electric-mistress-xo

Or a Mr. Black Tunnelworm for through zero craziness.
    BYOC Stereo Analogue Flanger. It's not huge, but it's not tiny either- probably about the same size as the EH EMXO. I'm not desperate to make this happen, just kinda thinking out loud.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've got a pedal that will do such a thing. I got it from Bright Onion, but actually I don't use it. £20 and it's yours!
    Spent up right now, but may well be in touch @Drew_fx