Has the Bluguitar Amp 1 died before it got going? Nah!

What's Hot

Comments

• Using it direct to PA is a big deal for me but I haven't tried it yet. It is very loud indeed, much, much too loud for me to ever use. I suppose, the question should be can it be that loud and still sound great and be reliable? I did wind it up but my ears were bleeding. My ideal gigging volume was at about 10 o'clock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17865
    tFB Trader
    That's really exciting news. 

When are you planning to gig it @firepaulmusic ?

I think if I hear a successful gig report from you I'll be buying one.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    This /\ keep us informed. I'm sure they'll be a fair few of these sold to guys on here if it does what it's supposed to do.

• I'll try and get something on video if there's a song I don't cock up ;-). What I intend to do is use my Marshall 1 x 12 with Celestion Gold mic'd and also DI it to PA to see what the difference is. My Remote 1 controller should be here also so that opens the whole thing up with access to all 4 channels and a second master volume for solos.
    tFB Trader
    Nice one, look forward to it!

DI is really important to me as I use in ears with the band. I could run the power amp into my Redbox, but that's another box to remember.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 368
    edited March 2015
    First gig tonight. Rearranged my pedalboard with DD3 and volume pedal in the series fx loop which worked great. Mostly used the clean and Vintage channels sometimes with boost. Used the Classicand Modern channels a few times. This was into my miced up Marshall 1x12 and also DI direct for comparison. The DI was great, hardly any difference from the miced sound. The sounds were all very strong and toneful, very reactive to guitar volume control. So it's the real deal, official. Easily loud enough to gig and as good as any amp I've ever plugged into. I'm sold on it and a very happy bunny!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015
    photo image.jpg2_zpsrq8kqsad.jpg photo image.jpg1_zpsynwfx9ff.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Awesome. Do you reckon it'll be gig worthy un-mic'd for pub gigs through a 2x12?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12079
    does the old rule of thumb apply? 

i.e. 100w solid state is about as lour as a 30 or 40W valve amp?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3342
    edited March 2015
    Nice one firepaul. The DI out sound is an important one and glad it delivers on that front and on the rest.

It's on the GAS list but I also need to try that other NAMM fave, the Digitech Trio (band in a box).
    tFB Trader
    Awesome @firepaulmusic

Thanks for the review. I needed someone not on the corporate dime to gig it before I would feel confident to buy one.

I think I see one in my future :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome. Do you reckon it'll be gig worthy un-mic'd for pub gigs through a 2x12?

I'm pretty confident it'll handle a gig unmiced with ease.
    edited March 2015

does the old rule of thumb apply? 

i.e. 100w solid state is about as lour as a 30 or 40W valve amp?

I don't totally understand the technology in this amp but I don't reckon it can be classed as solid state. It certainly feels and react like a valve amp. I can't really believe the sound pressure levels it puts out, must be magic
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12079
    I understand the power amp is solid state, and usually solid state guitar amps are quieter for the same rated power
    (e.g. AxeFx users tend to have 200w or 300w a side power amps)
    tFB Trader
    I'm pretty sure the power section is Class D.

Power ratings don't really make any real world sense anyway. My current valve amp is supposed to be 25W, but I can't get it off one without people complaining about how loud it is even at open air festivals. 

The 22W Supersonic I had could just about keep up and the 20W Blackstar I had was completely gutless.
  • I tried all of the flexible switching options as well and they work. In the end I just opted to switch between clean and OD with a separate footswitch as I didn't have a double one for the boost as well. Still waiting for the Remote 1 from Thomann, not due in until April.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

It's amazing what is available to guitarists at the moment. All the guys complaining about heavy amps have just had their prayers answered by the look of it.

• I'd like to compare this to the amt stonehead.

Midi control makes this appealing though...
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    I'm pretty sure the power section is Class D.

When I spoke to Thomas Blug about it he said the valve was definitely part of the power amp - the grunt comes from a class D section but the valve is involved in a way that hasn't been done before. To me, it sounds reminiscent of how the Vox Valvetronix technology was described (and those early blue grille Valvetronix amps do sound good) but I know @ICBM has said a lot of Vox's description is a little disingenuous. Maybe one of our techie types will get to see a schematic at some point and shed some light.

I still can't really believe that the Amp 1 is as loud as an old 100W Marshall though - but who actually needs that these days, anyway? If it can match a 30W valve amp, that should be enough for most.
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I suspect it's running the microtube like a power amp and then attenuating it and running it back into the class D.

The fact that it has a switchable master and a separate power break suggests it's being done like that.