Hotrod deluxe head?

What's Hot
Has anyone converted a hotrod deluxe into a head?

There is one on eBay at the moment. However, they have moved the valve positions.

Anyway, is it as easy and removing the amp and building a new head box. I know that due to the valve position it may end up a deep box?

Anyone done anything similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

I would invert the valve PCB by 45 degrees so the valves stood up otherwise yeah it would need a very deep box
    There's enough room to do that in the chassis

Easier way though is remove speaker and bottom  then cut cab down to size then put bottom back on :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Given how deep he had to make the head box in order to move the transformer to the back on that one, I don't know why he didn't just leave it as it was! A fairly large amount of work for no benefit whatever. Valves cool themselves just as well when mounted sideways.

If you don't mind a head that deep, yes it is as simple as making a new box for it. The only other thing to watch out for is the position of the reverb tank, you need to have it oriented horizontally (ie hung from the top of the box) and with the output end as far away from the amp's power transformer as possible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks guys
    The reverb in the mark 2 isn't all that. I use an external reverb anyway.

I have a surf green HRD so I could keep that and just rehouse the amp.

I'm not worried about depth. I'm even considering putting some rack ears and mounting my g system and a few pedals too.

If I make it the same width as a cab I could put a 2x12 on top of it.
  • @MattFGBI
    I'm sure you've been asked before, why not do a hotrod head?
  • benvall said:
    @MattFGBI
    I'm sure you've been asked before, why not do a hotrod head?
    A Pro Junior head would be amazing.
  • Love these projects. I did one for a 5150 last year:

Saw the one on ebay - looks great - HRD version would be ace.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I've asked about it. As mentioned before its the layout that causes the problem. It would need a total chassis redesign to make it small enough.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2015
    MattFGBI said:
    I've asked about it. As mentioned before its the layout that causes the problem. It would need a total chassis redesign to make it small enough.

Yeah, but they'd fly off the shelves so the R&D will be worth it....ask again please @MattFGBI it'll be a massive seller for sure ;-)
  • Having spoken to our drummer this evening, he has informed me that he's thinking to quitting so not sure I'll start a project if I don't have a band.

@geepers0677 I remember seeing your 5150, thought about that one when starting this thread.

@not_the_dj I wonder if the fact the HRD are so popular as a combo fender aren't that interested in making a head version.

I would have thought the new Mike Landau would have been a good chance to do a head version.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I'll keep suggesting it. Would be good to have it with power scaling too. I'd also like to see the tone master reissued!
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• I've just seen this
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/pedalfreak/3219889551/

Rick Nielsen's rack with a HRD in it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    MattFGBI said:
    I'd also like to see the tone master reissued!
    I suspect it wouldn't sell well for the same reasons as the first time around. I didn't like the first one I used, because I didn't understand it and I wasn't using the best cabinet for it (the 2x12"). To me it sounded OK on the clean channel and not good on the overdrive channel - harsh and spiky. I was playing it at "sensible" volume.

But the second time I used one it was with the 4x12", and I was able to really crank it… and to this day it remains one of the greatest sounds I've ever heard out of a guitar amp.

You may disagree, but I think it's better to forget any idea that it's a "channel switcher" in the accepted sense, with a clean channel and a dirty channel that you can dial in at the same (low) volume… I found it was really more of a big non-MV amp with a *boost* channel, and it needs to be used that way, with the clean channel at the point of breakup and the dirty channel beyond it :). At that point it sounded like my old '64 Bassman crossed with a jet engine :D. In my top half dozen dirty-clean and full-power overdrive sounds, in the same amp. But what volume!

The Dual Professional was great too, but also louder than I could ever get away with using if I wanted to get overdrive out of it. It would almost have been my perfect amp otherwise.

I've never quite got there with the Vibro-King in the same way - not bad, but it doesn't have that same massive boldness and power.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein