Acoustic for an electric player

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for all the help guys. It's taken a while but looks like I'll be able to get a 00015m.*

A common thread in many threads seems to be some acoustics are better for strumming and some for finger style. Is this like some guitars are considered shred guitars but can do anything really?

* I will post pics when I get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73014
    edited April 2015
    Elwood said:
    A common thread in many threads seems to be some acoustics are better for strumming and some for finger style. Is this like some guitars are considered shred guitars but can do anything really?
    Sort of. With an acoustic, the construction and inherent tone tend to dictate the use, to some extent. A heavily-built, beefy-sounding guitar like a traditional Dreadnought will generally need to be played harder to get a good response out of it, so it will suit strumming more than fingerpicking and may sound a bit dead played softly. A smaller, lighter-built brighter-sounding guitar will generally be more responsive when picked gently but can be overpowered and sound thrashy if strummed too hard.

Obviously it's a sliding scale and it's possible to get one that's good for both as well, although they tend not to be as great for either extreme unless you're very lucky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11515
    Neck width is something that seems to factor here.  If you just want to strum then something with a relatively narrow neck is fine, and probably easier to play.  For fingerpicking a wider neck, and possibly more importantly a wider string spacing where your right hand is, give more room for picking.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    Not sure on what budget we are talking, but I recently had a Collings C10 which seems like it is close to your criteria, and it was definitely like an electric guitar to play. I sold it as have some other small body guitars I prefer. Build quality is amazing as always with Collings and the resale value very good. I have another larger Collings and have to say, if you find one you love the tone of, they are very hard to beat as an all round package.
    The main issue for me is fret size it would appear. The Martin is lovely except for the teenie tiny frets.

What's wrong with some 6105s!
  • Have you looked at Brook? In my experience they have fast, low actions and the necks are quite nice for electric players.

http://www.brookguitars.com/

The menu button at the top right hand side is a bit obscure... so click on that to get more info on models and dealers etc.

I've had a couple of their guitars... including a Brook Lyn (small bodied).  Also played a Brook Creedy (even smaller body) - that I should have bought (but I was too slow).

You can order to your spec... or there are a few dealers (including Ivor Mairants, n London)

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11515
    Brook have really flat fingerboard radius, along with a shallow neck.  I had to use a classical capo on it because it was so flat.  I ended up selling it because I couldn't get on with it.

If you are coming from any mainstream electric (Fender, Gibson, PRS) then the fingerboard radius will seem very flat.  It's not the kind of thing you may pick up playing it briefly in a shop, but it became uncomfortable playing it for long periods after I'd bought it.

Some people love the neck and the fingerboard radius, but you definitely want to try before you buy.

I have thought of going back to Brook and asking them to build me a guitar with a more mainstream fingerboard radius and a slightly deeper neck.
    My electric is D shaped 17" radius so flat boards are a not an issue :)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    just buy a Lowden. You won't regret it...
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    edited April 2015
    I definitely wouldn't have Lowden top of the list when it comes to guitars, that 'play like electrics'. They have quite chunky necks (which I quite like) but I personally wouldn't say easy playing at all, in comparison to many other brands...

There seems to be a bit of 'Lowden hype' on the forum at the minute, but I would be wary of recommending them as some sort of holy grail of acoustics. They really aren't, and that is coming from someone who has owned 3 in the past. Great guitars, but they have a very distinctive sound, and it probably won't be the sound a lot of people hear in their head when they think of acoustic guitars.

I went through a phase of trying to like British acoustics, buying Lowden, Brook etc. But all long gone and had to face up to the fact that I massively prefer the American sound.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    I was in a similar situation and picked a Yairi G-1F. It is smaller than a dread and it's neck is not far off a classic Gibson profile, very easy to play.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Anyone thinking of buying a Lowden, should also look at MciLroy as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom