What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682

My current pet peeve is YouTube FX pedal demos that go something like this:

"So firstly, here's my clean tone....

GGGRRRRRAAAAANNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    Mine too, but it's nothing new... they've been doing that since YouTube demos started I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    edited October 2013

Hmmm, yep, one man's clean is, clearly not.

Also why when they do the clean bit does it consist of a few strums of chords and then they spend 80% of the vid thrashing the poor thing to within an inch of its PP3?

"inch", "PP3" god I'm getting old.

• I guess they are confusing "clean" with "dry"...which is annoying but ok up to a point, as long as it's not an OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedal they are demoing!

(or, I guess, an acoustic simulator...!)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28781
    I particularly dislike the ones that have five minutes at the beginning of "Hey, what's up, it's me, Youtubepedaldemoguy9644352, big shout out to my mom for letting me live in her basement, hope you've enjoyed my other videos, really love reading your comments, so here's the Fandabulator 2000 by subsidisedbymydayjobFX, it's a TS type overdrive that has some really interesting features, so let's get right in there with the demo, here's the rest of my rig, I've got a 1997 MIJ copy Classic Big Face which is basically like Big Face's version of a Custom Player Mojo Ninety but with alnico 5 instead of a whammy bar, and if you've seen my other videos then you'll know that I've changed out the strap buttons for the Boggo steel ones which really helps me rock out with you guys and that's going over some Humdrum Ninjabum directional cables which I really dig, they're such good value so I buy thirty at a time 'cos they keep breaking but man they're so important to that vintage tone from the piezos which I put in just last week and they don't really work that great and I hate the sound but I'm totally stoked about them because I might do some acoustic open nights and it'll really blow some minds when I turn up with the Classic Big Face and they're all expecting that '97 vibe from it and then they're like mind bottled when they hear me twanging out some really massive ubertone stuff like Color Me Badd from that baby so I think we'll get straight on with the pedal, I really dig the colour that they've used here, big shout out for that..."

SHUT UP AND PLAY SOMETHING.

Oh, gawd, no. STOP PLAYING. THAT'S HORRIBLE. Where the crap is the close button?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've watched that vid! >:D<

Me too.

So... many... times...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

@sporky if I could award two LOL's to one comment I would for that.

Appox half a day of my life has been wasted in this exact way. Bastards.

• Sporky said:
    Me too.

So... many... times...
    What we need is for somebody to demo a ValveSporker exactly like that. Then we need somebody to take a photo of the brain-splatter pattern on the wall behind you.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2379
    Sporky said:
    SHUT UP AND PLAY SOMETHING.

Oh, gawd, no. STOP PLAYING. THAT'S HORRIBLE. Where the crap is the close button?
    +1 :))
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    You also get a lot of ' lets open this baby right up and see what it can do' so you get most of the time spent on extreme settings. :ar!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I watched one earlier where it everything was just set to the middle and then it was five minutes of slow noodling. Utterly useless.
    But, I still seek them out. I recon I've got close to the bottom of the barrel looking at demos of pedal tuners! >:D<

• PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      Definitely. 

I really get tired of some of the doofus types doing demos...

The same can be said of amp demos.  Particularly clean sounds.  All I ever get is some guy doing .0003 seconds of strummy, jangly stuff- then it's on to the face melty power chords or widdly widdly.   Jeez - could you spend any LESS time on it??  How about some single note melodies mixed in, so we can really hear the tone.

While we're at it, get the bloody fecking microphone away from the guitar.  I'm sick of watching AMP or PEDAL demos where the ambient picking noises are louder than the amp sounds.

And if the guy sounds like a cork sniffer, I usually hit back before he even starts playing.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bare foot pedal demos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Johnny DefuckingMarco.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Pedal demos should go like this:

> Start playing (people are here because they already know what the demo is of. Do not be tempted to explain it to them in case they accidentally came here whilst searching for clips of the IT Crowd.)
     > Start BY... playing the guitar acoustically, close to the mic. THAT'S the "clean" sound for reference. 
     > THEN play some actual-clean guitar through the amp. Simple stuff. Let the fucking notes ring out for a while. Less is more. 
     > Start playing with the pedal. Try different settings. Play things that the different settings suggest. Don't just keep blindly playing the same stuff through all the settings.
     > At this point, if something that the pedal is doing occurs to you as being noteworthy, stop playing for a minute and explain it, and demonstrate what you mean.

That's it. The dream.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Gregor Hilden. I mean, the guy has some fantastic gear, but by God is he the dullest guitar player of all time

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    Bare foot pedal demos.
    Hell yeah, I don't wanna see someone horrible, ugly, manky, big toe turning on and off the pedal. Put some bloody shoes on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I would think that when demoing a pedal, the pedal should be on some sort of stand in front of the player so that adjustments can be made quickly and easily.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Sporky;52431" said:
    I would think that when demoing a pedal, the pedal should be on some sort of stand in front of the player so that adjustments can be made quickly and easily.
    the GuitarWorld ones do that IIRC
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.