SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

White Zombie - Scammer?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited February 2015
    Sad to see another. If someone has done a few deals, both sold and bought then I am a lot more trusting as there are multiple other people who know their address.
    FWIW I think the paypal fee is 20p plus 3.4% If you are spending 100 quid on a pedal, £3.60 is nothing, not worth not buying something over either imo

@ttony is there a way to red flag an account if their ip doesn't match their location, or make their country of residence at least be set for them from their ip.
    Website ads usually say "Horny singles in Chelmsford ready for you" when actually I am maldon/colchester, (hence why I don't click on said ads), so ip probably isn't accurate enough, or consistent enough for someones location, but it should atleast be able to pin people down to a country?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Again?! 

Buffers and bumpers! (For the resident Thomas the tank engine fans)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deijavoo said:
    Regular members on here from now on only I'd say which is a bloody shame all round.  :-( 
    Same feeling here for me.  Fortunately for a majority of the membership there is a Kevin Bacon/six degrees of seperation chain of actually knowing everyone through someone else in the real world, so PPG will continue to remain a norm in that context.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mkjackary said:

Website ads usually say "Horny singles in Chelmsford ready for you" when actually I am maldon/colchester, (hence why I don't click on said ads), so ip probably isn't accurate enough, or consistent enough for someones location, but it should atleast be able to pin people down to a country?
    I don't mind country irregularities. It's when the lady I've just emailed isn't a proper lady that my blood starts to boil. 

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Such a crying shame to see this shit happening.
    I've had many happy PPG deals both here and on MR over the past few years including paying well over £1k and sending guitars "on approval". Never had a reason to doubt anyone and hope I never will.
    I really hope everyone that's been stung gets sorted and the conmen get a bad case of crabs
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27717
    Mkjackary said:
    @ttony is there a way to red flag an account if their ip doesn't match their location, or make their country of residence at least be set for them from their ip.

Not sure that'd really help in avoiding the dodgy deals though.  The scams that we have had have been UK-based.  

This specific one is odd in that the IP says Portugal, but the ad said "collection possible from Guildford".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Really sorry to hear you got stung.

It's the few rotten bastards who spoil it for everyone.
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • TTony said:
    Mkjackary said:

Not sure that'd really help in avoiding the dodgy deals though.  The scams that we have had have been UK-based.  

This specific one is odd in that the IP says Portugal, but the ad said "collection possible from Guildford".
    Probably because collection from portugal would be a bit hard. 
    In all seriousness I see it that he either used a proxy/VPN that is based in portugal so tracing where he lives is harder. (probably most likely) or he is just a portuguese scammer that said he is from the uk so people are less wary about buying from him. 
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    TTony said:
    matt1973 said:
    I have to say, IMO the whole gift payment thing should really only be considered when dealing with well established members. There's just too many scammers lurking around on forums like this one. To consider it the norm, is just leaving yourself wide open.
    I've just added a sticky to each of the main Classifieds section to that effect.

PPG was used as the default method of payment back in the early days of the forum, when we were somewhat smaller, and most people knew most people.  It was safe to use because of the closeness of the community.

As we've got bigger, we've - unfortunately - attracted some less reliable people, and so you have to think about when to use PPG, and when to be a little more careful.
    Thanks for that- very useful
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024