Oil City powered

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    tFB Trader
    CeeBee said:
    I have a scrapyard dog plus and mighty ninety on the way to go in my Edwards LP. Pics when it's done.
    On the way geezer :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    Where to start, where to start ... at the beginning I suppose

So, that's a 1-p'up guitar, with 2 push/push controls for the Oil City Diesel Tap.  One p/p for the tap, and one as a control by-pass to send pure Oil City power straight to the output jack.  It really is a grunty beast.

Second up, a set of Stone Tones in this old Kawai ...

A much more useful combination (and look, IMHO) than the way it came out of the factory; the "before" pic ...

Another Oil City powered Tele - this one has got the Wapping Wharf and Buccanner combo ...

Love it !!!

And finally, a rather special pair of P90s from the man;

That pic was before final set-up, and before putting some slightly better knobs on it!  It's currently my "pick up and play" guitar.

I suppose you could call me a "satisfied customer"  :D

Don't buy anything else now, just Oil City.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    @ttony that last double cut is beautiful??? Details on the build?
    samzadgan said:
    @ttony that last double cut is beautiful??? Details on the build?
    Here @samzadgan - don't want to derail this thread!
  • @ttony same here. I know there are plenty of other winders out there who are excellent but ash has always been brilliant to me - I've got (pics later) a strat loaded with calibre 53s, a jazzmaster which has two strat and a cowtron (all sound great, but the guitar is in bits... I'm going to redo it all someday!) and my prs alike, which has a pair of prototype or very early ASL pickups - the bridge has three magnets (a pair of alnico 8 and a ceramic iirc) and the neck is alnico 5. Both sound beasty!
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    both of mine are Oil City powered - the Strat has a Honky Tonk Angel in the bridge, neck and middle are Duncans. The Aria has two Mighty Nineties. Very happy with all of them!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuChu Frets: 14
    edited March 2015

Despite joining a while ago, this has turned out to be my first post. So hi!

Here's my Oil City powered PRS SE Zach Myers with a Nightfighter in the bridge and Mighty 90 in the neck. I'd found the stock pickups wanting and with the help of Ash, he guided me to this pair. I really can't say enough about them, they suit the semi-hollow body and achieve everything I wanted. Lovely P90 neck tones and a knarly, throaty humbucker in the bridge (but still easily tamed). Compared to my USA PRS with Dragon IIs, they're a little lower gained, a little more open and a little more bitey. Anyway, enough of the awkward descriptions, here it is!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That is nice @chu, very nice.

:)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Those Zach Myers SEs are the only PRS guitars I truly GAS after...
    I watched the original batch being made in the Korean factory and thought they were a really good looking guitar.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    markblack said:
    oil city scrap yard dog plus' in my tinkered with Bich...

I think my first full on bout of GAS was for a BC Rich, either a Bich or a Warlock. The local guitar shop had a white Bich that I never had the nerve to take down and play....hmmmmm, I can afford one nowadays....(cue ebay search!!)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    We should keep this thread alive to post new 'oil city powered' guitars as they arrive. It's nice to see the difference guitars which all share the same link.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:
    We should keep this thread alive to post new 'oil city powered' guitars as they arrive. It's nice to see the difference guitars which all share the same link.
    Agreed, in fact I have a second Oil City Melody Maker nearly done which should be on here in a few days.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2015
    Les Tool

Warmoth white korina body, stained and TruOil'd
    Warmoth unfinished (apart from a drop of axewax) goncalo alves neck with ebony board
    Oil City Custom Blitz Spirits (alnico 2 for the neck, alnico 3 for the bridge)

Love it!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    My previous Jaden Rose Series 2 with SD+ and nightfighter:

[IMG]
    Adam_MD said:
    Mr Postie delivered 3 Scrapyard Dog + p'ups to me yesterday ... wonder where they're headed??

;)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    TTony;547314" said:
    Adam_MD said:

Mr Postie delivered 3 Scrapyard Dog + p'ups to me yesterday ... wonder where they're headed??

;)
    I really like the scrapyard dog + pickups definitely one of my favs. Have you tried a Nightfighter yet?
    edited March 2015
    ....and here we have my second Oil City powered Melody Maker with its brand new Supermassive humbucker sized P90 prototype and scratchplate by Scratch-It.
    Big thanks to @TimAl and @TheGuitarWeasel

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    Scrapyard Dogs in this one, among many others.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/whatisshredding/TFB/CatSmall_zps91355457.jpg

see em here:

Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• simonk said:
    Les Tool

Warmoth white korina body, stained and TruOil'd
    Warmoth unfinished (apart from a drop of axewax) goncalo alves neck with ebony board
    Oil City Custom Blitz Spirits (alnico 2 for the neck, alnico 3 for the bridge)

Love it!
    That's a gorgeous body
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    TheOtherDennis;548151" said:
    simonk said:

Les Tool

Warmoth white korina body, stained and TruOil'dWarmoth unfinished (apart from a drop of axewax) goncalo alves neck with ebony boardOil City Custom Blitz Spirits (alnico 2 for the neck, alnico 3 for the bridge)

Love it!

That's a gorgeous body
    Thanks matey. It turned out well I have to say. :)