Total Newbie to this...

Having been influenced by many of you on this site I'm going to try to put together a telecaster. 

Genuinly I don't know where to start other than I know what I like. Where do you guys source the body and necks? 

Can anyone suggest a good place to get the wiring from?

Thanks
Shaun
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    My 'go to' Tele has  a cheapo CH guitars neck and a Booboo bodies ash body off the Flea bay ... cost around £100 for both a couple of years ago.
    Northwest Guitars are good too.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28453
    edited February 2015
    What's your budget?

What are your guitar building / woodworking skills and tools?

There's an interesting set of threads on kit builds from last year - something to consider?

Or start with something complete & cheap (Harley Benton are popular atm) and mod / improve it, learning a lot about guitar setter-uppery and what makes a good/bad guitar in the process.

Lots of options, although Oil City pickups are pretty much a given  

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • There're plenty of videos on how to do the wiring on t'interweb- I've not done it before, but will give it a crack on my Harley Benton when I get chance.
    Alternatively, Mojo do wiring kits.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Grab a kit, I did, it's the flying v build on here, the green one
  • Yep grab a kit.
    I had a tele one for an xmas prezzie, and although it took me a good few weeks to do it was well worth doing.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Most of the enjoyment for me would be sourcing the parts so I can exactly the guitar I want. I'd go for a guitarbuild body, finish it in Wudtone and look for a used neck or get one from Northwest guitars. Then you can get exactly the pickups, pickguard, knobs, bridge etc you want.
  • GrahamMGrahamM Frets: 34
    I'd suggest deciding whether to mod an existing guitar or build a Partscaster.

If you just want to change pickups and have a go at painting over an existing finish then consider buying a Harley Benton Tele and join in the modding challenge.

Be aware that vintage style ashtray bridges are often not a simple swap due to the pickup routing position and screw holes/ferrule holes.String height adjustment can be an issue.

Neck pockets vary in width as well. If starting with a new body I'd suggest (as others have already) to go with one from Guitarbuild and a neck  from Northwest guitars.Both are Fender dimensions .Cheaper necks are available but make sure they fit the neck pocket (eg. Harley Benton neck 57mm width-Fender/Guitarbuild 56mm).

Kits are a great idea.

I'd be interested to know what you decide.
    Graham.
  • Any update shaunm?