Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Youtube Pedal Reviews - What do you look for?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5178
    Andy, Burgs & Gearmandude cover all the sounds for me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4598
    edited February 2015
    JustNick and Burgs.

A lot of pedal demos miss the settings in minimum setting,,,, how clean is a pedal with the gain off?... how little does it modulate with the depth down .... obviously push it as well.

and wear a bikini ... that'll help me a lot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    actually just remembered...my favourite is JustNick...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Curtis Kent also very good. Miss piggy.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11896
    I'm not so big a fan of JustNick since his move to the Artic circles. He looks really cramped where he is sitting and i feel uncomfortable watching it from my end.
  • When playing the clean/bass tone please play the guitar at the same dynamic as you will the when the pedal is engaged. Far too many pedal demos have someone play one chord once very lightly and then when the pedal is switched on play much harder.

It's just not an accurate representation of how the pedal changes the clean tone
    I'm not so big a fan of JustNick since his move to the Artic circles. He looks really cramped where he is sitting and i feel uncomfortable watching it from my end.
    yeah I know what you mean...but he still demo's the best pedals!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    PGS Andy is a real pro.

IMO he's just edged by Mike Hermans, if only because he plays original jams so the gear is shown on its own terms (as opposed to Andy's brilliant covers).

No talk but playing that covers each piece of gear in a wide musical context and informative summaries at the bottom of the screen giving more info.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 610

I think that the Mike Hermans/ Prymaxe vids are very good. The recording quality is key and also knowing what the base clean tone is before engaging the pedal as it gives a good reference of the tonal changes that the pedal is capable of. It's nice to hear the pedal in isolation and also in context of a backing track together with an idea of how the individual controls on the pedal affect the sound.

Others worthy of note are PGS Andy and Burgs.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    You'll miss it all if you watch from your end. Turn round!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4598
    @samzadgan said:
    I've actually just realised you profile pic is Jason Jesse ... nice!! streets of fire baby!
  • have enjoyed reading all the comments above. It should be said that I'm not a shreddy, rock type of dude. I can play a bit of bluesy stuff but overall I'm not great at it at all. I'm an indie type of guy so I was thinking of maybe going down that road a little bit more?

I think I'm definately sold on letting the pedal be the focus. I cant talk great on camera and as someone points out above if someones checking out the video its likely that theyve already researched the particulars of it.

hmmmmmm...... onwards

How very rock and roll
  • I would prefer it if dirt pedals were played into clean amps, not nearly clean or slightly dirty. If you must play them into dirty amps do so after giving it a go into a clean amp. Boost pedals though should be tried on dirty amps.

And don't only play blues, try different styles to show how versatile the pedal is - PGS Andy is great at this.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Just read your comment above, pedal reviews in an 'indie' style would be good - I don't play blues, jazz, rock or metal and have no intention of doing so it would be nice to hear demos in the style of music I like - which seem to be rare on YouTube.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • It's an interesting question. I've thought about upping my You Tube game - however, I get a bit put off when I think "What am I offering that people like Pete Thorn don't?" And the answer is nothing. I can't do a better demo than them. However, what I can do is demo stuff that unique to me or not covered in other videos.
  • This ^ all the big boys do similar demos, getting different styles or perspectives rather than the obvious would be good
  • Not a big fan of shredding videos or blues scales they seem to be more of a 'look at how good i can play' rather than a 'look at how good this pedal is' 

I like Kermit Kents videos, they are nice and clear, he doesn't go over the top with information that people will already know and plays appropriately for the kind of pedals he is demoing. 

keep it simple, don't talk for hours let the pedal do the work. 

Oh and never work with children or animals ...

• Panama_Jack666;538516" said:
    It's an interesting question. I've thought about upping my You Tube game - however, I get a bit put off when I think "What am I offering that people like Pete Thorn don't?" And the answer is nothing. I can't do a better demo than them. However, what I can do is demo stuff that unique to me or not covered in other videos.
    This is the reason I have a slight bromance crush on you pal! So much sense in one comment!
    How very rock and roll
    DesVegas;538482" said:
    @samzadgan said:

I've actually just realised you profile pic is Jason Jesse ... nice!! streets of fire baby!
    Hells yeah! Still have that on video back home.

Good old days!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    And try to get as far away from the style of Andertons demos, they're sickening!