What pedal am I missing off my board?

What's Hot
Hi All,

I'm in a covers band. Mainly 70s and 80s rock.

I'm upgrading my Boss GT8 and going for individual pedals.

I'm pretty much sorted in terms of what I'm buying for Delay, Wah, Chorus as those tend to be my staple sounds.

However, what else should I think about putting on the board? I want stuff that will be useful for the era we play.

Cheers
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MXR phase 90 of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    It also depends how many drive pedals you are using -  I suspect you need at least one more ;-)

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Technically it's what you're missing ON your board, but I'll let this slide to address the more important matter of an MXR phase 90 (as above yes I know). 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Compressor, fuzz,100 different kinds of od?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fuzz and an OD, maybe an octavia too.

I happen to be selling a pedal that does all 3 in one ;-) opportunity knocks and all that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I should have said that from an OD point of view, I really like the dirty channel on my amp. I bought a Mooer Hustle pedal recently and it sounds almost exactly like my amp. Good advert for the Mooer pedal but a bit redundant on my board :)

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Fuzz Face and a Wah.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Boss SD-1

MXR Phase 90 (as already mentioned)

Univibe

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    Good choice, going the pedals route, imo
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • What songs are you playing?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Mainly rock from 70's and 80's, although some later stuff creeps in as you will see from the list below

Here's a few we play:

All Right Now - Free
    Cant Get Enough - Bad Company
    Hammer to Fall - Queen
    Pictures of Home - Deep Purple
    Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young
    Bound for Glory - Blackstar Riders
    Boys are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy

What songs are you playing?

Maybe a Flanger for some of the Thin Lizzy stuff, but the songs mentioned by Free, Bad Compny, Neil Young and Lizzy I'd just use a nice crunchy Marshall type sound with out any embellishments.

I'm not sure about Queen/BSR so I'm not saying anything on them.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• If Queen then may be a trebble booster? Otherwise depending on amp, maybe a marshall in a box type?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Yes, treble booster even if not playing Queen stuff. They're amazing through a cooking amp.
  • Thanks everyone. Great feedback.

I forgot to mention I also have a Blackstar LT Boost so that could cover the treble boost although currently I'm using it as a pure volume boost and I have it in the fx loop for that reason.

Maybe I'll get another one and put that in front of the amp to drive the preamp.

Cheers
    Mike

Going to the Guitar show tomorrow so I've no doubt temptation will win :)

• Tuner
    Good call. I have one on my shopping list. I've already got one of those tuners you attach to the head of the guitar but one on the board would be useful.
    Thanks everyone. Great feedback.

I forgot to mention I also have a Blackstar LT Boost so that could cover the treble boost although currently I'm using it as a pure volume boost and I have it in the fx loop for that reason.

Maybe I'll get another one and put that in front of the amp to drive the preamp.

Cheers
    Mike

Going to the Guitar show tomorrow so I've no doubt temptation will win :)

Careful putting an overdrive pedal in the loop, you (potentially) could do serious damage to your amp and outside of the normal hearing range. Better to use a clean boost in the loop.

My own preference for a clean boost in the loop is the MXR Microamp. 

• The LT Boost is a clean boost. IIRC that one used to be mine.