What (if any) small stereo cabs are there?

Just out of interest, Google is drawing a blank for me - are there any small stereo input cabinets out there? I'm thinking like the 1x10 Vox Lil Night Train type size, but with two speakers and stereo?

I suspect its a bit niche and a completely unviable product to make, but if anybody knows, you guys would
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I have a Zilla 2x12 that will run in stereo or mono. Paul Gough @ Zilla will make you whatever you want.
    http://www.zillacabs.com
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    Just out of interest, Google is drawing a blank for me - are there any small stereo input cabinets out there? I'm thinking like the 1x10 Vox Lil Night Train type size, but with two speakers and stereo?

I suspect its a bit niche and a completely unviable product to make, but if anybody knows, you guys would

One possible reason is the lack of really good sounding sub 10" guitar speakers? Some  players even say there are no really good tens!

Dave.

• I know what you mean, that's why I'd think it would hardly be something that would be worth it. I'm sure the Zilla ones are great but the hypothetical daydream which lead to this question was for a Mooer Monster/Lil Night Train stereo type set up, and that would seem overkill haha though granted a stereo set up will always be overkill

I was kind of hoping there might be something like that 4x8 mini Blackstar cab thing, but for stereo set up. I guess to be fair you could just use two cabs.

"  I was kind of hoping there might be something like that 4x8 mini Blackstar cab thing, but for stereo set up."

Well, there is no reason why one of those could not be wired to stereo but the cab was "after my time" and so I have no data on it. I THINK it is a net 8Ohm cab and would therefore devolve to two 4s or two 16 Ohm sections.

Will have a shufty.

Dave.

Right!

The 408 is, as I suspected, an 8 Ohm cab but handily (for your purpose) has a pair of jacks on the back in parallel.

Should be simple therefore to replace them (be a PCB I bet*) with two jacks wired for stereo and I would wire for 2x16 R and fit a switch to mono back to 8R. Mind you, ass would be better kicked from a sstater is run as two fours.

*Best to just remove the whole wiring harness. Draw it out first! and rewire for stereo, you can get decent 5mm push conns from Maplin.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Any mono two- or four-speaker cab can be rewired to stereo, it's just a question of how much work it would be. Best is if it has two jacks already, as Dave said - you don't even need a switch to give mono use, you can use the jacks themselves if they're the normal type with switch contacts.

And solder the wires! :-P

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Any mono two- or four-speaker cab can be rewired to stereo, it's just a question of how much work it would be. Best is if it has two jacks already, as Dave said - you don't even need a switch to give mono use, you can use the jacks themselves if they're the normal type with switch contacts.

And solder the wires! :-P

Well we don't want to start all that again! Sufficient to say I have personally never had a problem with push on conns in "our" gear!

My idea was that he can remove the jack PCB and all the wiring and stow it in case he ever wanted to sell the cab.

Dave. 

Just a point re "spades". At Crimble I  bought a cheap fan heater. Did not work even tho brand spanking.

Problem turned out to be a 6mm spade NEVER BLOODY CONNECTED!

Moral? Nothing works well if you employ monkeys.

Dave.

This is true, and I've come across a substantial number of amp faults that have been caused by a solder joint not being soldered - just the wire poked through or at best wrapped round the eyelet.

Almost a significant fraction of the number caused by duff push-connectors, in fact… :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83 said:
    Nothing works well if you employ monkeys.
    It semmed to work well for PG Tips? Ha Ha

Interesting knowledge there though, hmm...the possibilities. I don't know how to solder but I know enough people who could do this, should I work out that it is worth doing from my point of view

Thanks as always guys
    If you don't know how to solder and have to pay someone to do it, it *might* be cheaper and better to get the crimp tool and do it that way. You still have to strip wire, so you'll need strippers as well, but they're not expensive. (Unless you want to be very careful and do it with a sharp knife.)

What amp is it for? If it's something low-powered and solid-state I would be much happier risking just using push-connectors straight onto the jack terminals, if you use the right jacks so they will fit.

ecc83 said:
    Nothing works well if you employ monkeys.
    It semmed to work well for PG Tips? Ha Ha

Interesting knowledge there though, hmm...the possibilities. I don't know how to solder but I know enough people who could do this, should I work out that it is worth doing from my point of view

Thanks as always guys

Them's was APES! (aka drummers) get your zoology right!

BTW I have NO idea how good or bad the 4o8 sounds! As ICBM has pointed out, one or twice! B's don't always fit the MOST amazing drive units! They must be fair to middling eighters tho? Rated at 15 watts.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

BTW I have NO idea how good or bad the 4o8 sounds! As ICBM has pointed out, one or twice! B's don't always fit the MOST amazing drive units! They must be fair to middling eighters tho? Rated at 15 watts.

I'd guess they are the same or very similar to the generic ones you see in almost every cheap 10-15W solid state amp sold under an infinite number of brand names from the late 80s onwards. (8ohm or 4ohm depending on the amp.)

Not as bad as you'd think, actually! I've used some of the 4ohm ones as replacements for old Fender Champs, and they do really sound OK. Or maybe the stock Fender speakers were never anything special either...

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    The stock Fender speaker in my old Champ was absolute crap. Soon as I changed it for a better one (can't remember which) it was a fabulous sounding amp.
  • Interesting stuff. Well it would be very low powered stuff, my Mooer is 5watt and the LilNight Train is 2watt I think. Thinking a Fender and Vox flavoured stereo sound might sound cool at home
  • Head to your local cash converters. They quite often have cheap 4x8 cabs from hartke or something with a solid state head (all for guitar, not bass). Might be a cheap starter platform.

That mooer bassman - I love it. I tried one a few weeks back, and it is a pretty cool, dynamic amp that sounds like a tweed amp. Didn't sound the same as the fender champ, to me, though that had a tiny speaker... Wind it right up and you can get some pretty gnarly doomy tones!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9912
    edited February 2015
    I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest, ive got to a point where ive got a lovely sound out of it but only with my g3 set up in front of it, with extensive eq tweaking, a booster, occasional overdrive as well, and either slapback delay or spring verb. I am clinging to it because i paid more than i should have so would lose a lot on it, and it is quite tiny so will be a winner when i move in with my missus!

• thecolourbox;539632" said:
    I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest, ive got to a point where ive got a lovely sound out of it but only with my g3 set up in front of it, with extensive eq tweaking, a booster, occasional overdrive as well, and either slapback delay or spring verb. I am clinging to it because i paid more than i should have so would lose a lot on it, and it is quite tiny so will be a winner when i move in with my missus!

Wow, that's surprising. I just plugged in guitar - sd-1 - mooer, and it was all kinds of good sounding. Even straight in, it was a nice sound.