Relic strat colour?

What's Hot
I've got a squire strat body that I'm gonna do a relic finish on so that will please everybody. I've been a week trying to decide what colour but I just can't make my mind up, maybe vintage white, maybe sonic blue or maybe black. Maybe even a John Mayer type finish! What colour doth the great forumites of Fretboard go for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm onto you sonny.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    Shell pink
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Either:

Or:

Although they look identical to me other than the fretboard.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852
    axisus said:
    I've got a squire strat body that I'm gonna do a relic finish on so that will please everybody. I've been a week trying to decide what colour but I just can't make my mind up, maybe vintage white, maybe sonic blue or maybe black. Maybe even a John Mayer type finish! What colour doth the great forumites of Fretboard go for?
    What colour is it now?
  • Candy Apple Red. It looks great when you wear through the layers.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397

lamf68 said:
    axisus said:
    What colour is it now?
    Wood!

Candy Apple Red. It looks great when you wear through the layers.

axisus said:

lamf68 said:
    axisus said:
    What colour is it now?
    Wood!

I'll go with guitar monkey for a relic in a candy colour, sealer, then silver basecoat with a clear candy colour-coat rub through the layers to reveal the different colours below..
    edited February 2015
  • Check out white lighting stratocasters
    Here is a link to a few
    https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/wwg-white-lightning

Why stop at one colour? I love the look of these. I'm a sucker for anything surf green but also like the white over sunburst.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eeek I think WildWestGuitars are going to have those monstrosities in stock for a long while! Weird strat spec and weirder finish.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    I like sunburst, but from your list you can't beat an old white,it just looks great when well done.
  • Majorscale;539167" said:
    Eeek I think WildWestGuitars are going to have those monstrosities in stock for a long while! Weird strat spec and weirder finish.
    @Majorscale Nooooo, how can you say that?

Take a new guitar and make it look vintage, but not only that give it a refinish which would de-value it, oh but don't do it properly, just go over the original finish.
    Then put a humbucker in it to further de-value it.
    Then route it out (causing un-repairable damage) and stick a floyd rose on it. Further de-value!

Then charge good people $3,700 to $5,000 for the pleasure of owning one.

I must be odd, I like the look of them but I'd never pay that kind of money for one. I'd rather buy a blank body and ruin it myself.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Doesn't matter what colour, it'll look shit whatever it is!
    Sorry, I really don't like artificially reliced guitars.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Sassafras said:
    Sorry, I really don't like artificially reliced guitars.
    Thanks for your valuable insight, so nice to know that someone of your calibre is here interjecting quality contributions and positive karma. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    White or Sonic Blue
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I don't understand the whole relic thing.
    If I buy a car or anything else come to that, I don't start knocking dents in it with a hammer or a length of heavy chain. Even reproduction furniture is finished to a high standard unless it's being produced as a counterfeit antique item.
    What's the logic behind a relic guitar?
    Is it to fool people that you've got a valuable vintage guitar or to make people think you've been around the world as a gigging musician?
    If you buy a true vintage instrument, wouldn't you want the one in good condition over the one that's falling apart, assuming they sound the same?

Sorry, I just don't get it, maybe because I'm an old relic and wish I wasn't one.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    @Sassafras

I suggest you don't do a search for shabby chic furniture or rat rod cars.

Doesn't really matter if you get it or not. The thread is asking for relic suggestions, maybe worth considering not contributing at all since its not your thing.

There have been plenty of other threads discussing the pros and cons of relics where your view would be appropriate

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Admittedly, I don't know what a rat rod car is but shabby chic is what optimistic ebay sellers call stuff they can't be bothered to take down to the local tip.

Sassafras said:
    Sorry, I really don't like artificially reliced guitars

What in fucks name is the point of that comment?

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    I like relics if they aren't too extreme, for someone like myself with mild ocd about the condition of my gear its sometimes nice to play a guitar where you can let your fears go! My gigging guitars are relics for that reason.

Now onto colour, to me it depends on the fretboard wood, for maple I would say daphne blue or black and for rosewood, sonic blue, surf green or sunburst works. White seems to suit either woods imo.