What's Hot
124»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16926
    so likely a break in the wire then ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8841
    mrchi said:
    I'm not getting anything from the multi meter ...
    Do you mean no resistance, which means a broken wire, or no signal?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11060
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    so likely a break in the wire then ;)
    Lol I meant a break during the wind is pretty much impossible to miss ... 

the eyelet thing is a pain. You need a pointed iron tip, plenty of heat for a very short time ... enough to burn off the wire coating ... but not enough to weaken the wire. It gets even harder when using plain enamel PVA coated wire like old Gibsons (and some old Fenders). Strictly speaking you are supposed to scrape/sand off the coating prior to soldering. In reality you just apply the iron for a bit longer and watch for the tiny puff of smoke as the coating meets it's maker ;) 
    Too much 'puff' and no wire ... particularly with 43awg. But if Katie can master it as a girlie ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @TheGuitarWeasel, that sounds like a definite possible solution, thanks guys and @WezV I def need to have a day or 2 off, wise words sir!
    @Roland no signal bud
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11060
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    mrchi said:
    I'm not getting anything from the multi meter ...
    Do you mean no resistance, which means a broken wire, or no signal?
    If there's healthy resistance there will be signal ... if the pickup is open circuit there can be a very weak signal too confusingly.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

@TheGuitarWeasel was right I didn't take off the enamelling from the wire, (they never say anything about this on the YouTube videos, or Internet pages!)
    So I hope this thread will be some use to people who want to try this out for themselves,
    all the info that's go me through is on this thread courtesy of some very knowledgeable people

Thanks again to TheGuitarWeasel thats the 2nd pickle you got me out of, so I have built up a parts caster to test out the pickups.
    In the neck is my alnico 5 with 8040 winds middle ceramic telecaster pickup with only 6300 winds due to it being really thin flatwork and in the bridge, alnico 2 with 8040 winds.

Compared to my custom shop 59 reissue with Handwound josephina wound pickups my ones blow them out of the water......... Obviously I'm joking, :-D

My neck sounds great, with a lovely plummy tone and decent sustain, the middle a bit non defined could do with some more definition and the bridge nice bright tone but possibly a bit to bright so improvements to be made on all.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag268/mrmatthewharper/Mobile Uploads/20150315_213135_zps0vhkiags.jpg
    http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag268/mrmatthewharper/Mobile Uploads/20150315_213211_zps7suywnh8.jpg

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag268/mrmatthewharper/Mobile Uploads/20150315_213404_zpshtcknuxu.jpg
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    That neck looks good. Where did it come from?
    eBay @Saffafras it was a 2nd and only cost £28 quite, its a stella neck tho, been on 3 Partscasters so far as its that nice :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I love the honey, amber colour of it. Very nice. What a great buy.