Wudtone Question

What's Hot

Hi guys , I've treated a tele body with wudtone (Black Magic Woman) and sadly the finish id not what I wanted. Brown not black.

So is it okay to sand it all off and start again with a different type of finish ??

What is the best way to prepare for a new non-wudtone finish ??

Cheers, Reg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28384
    Post a pic or two, and see what @andypwudtone has to say.

My instinct would be to persevere with the Wudtone.  Sometimes it takes a couple of gos to get it right (as you'd want it to be).  I've had finishes that have been a bit anaemic at first - cured by sanding it off and then really forcing the finish into the wood (ie rubbing it in HARD!).

What's the body wood?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure what the body wood is sir , what difference does it make ?
  • As said previously

Often you need to keep going with Wudtone to get the desired colour, 

The wood makes a difference as all absorb differently and some do not take Wudtone as well as others, think they do a chart. 

Also with Wudtone ISTR some are dyes like BMW and you will also find it darkens and saturates more depending on the top coat. I would certainly try additional coats rubbing well in. Some woods just suck it up other it seems to slide arounds.

regards Jez

• reggieboyreggieboy Frets: 75

Thanks to all for advice.

Cheers, Reg

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited March 2015
    hello @reggieboy no doubt we can help get you sorted. 

The type of wood and the condition of the surface eg how fine sanded has a huge impact. If you send me a pic to mail@wudtone.com try find out the wood , let me know how it was prepared before applying the BMW , I can help. Most probably the key isn't right, dye not penetrating , finish slipping off hence brown not black!

From experience on here, I'm afraid I'm not inclined to continue responding to this thread if @randomhandclaps has no value to add other than shit stirring.

So email me direct and I will do my very best to help. kind regards
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom