Laney VC - reverb

Evening all,

Can anyone shed some light on what the reverb is like wide open on the laney VC range of amps? A good deals come my way and on paper the VC looks like a good amp, I'm just wondering if it can hit that big splashy surf style reverb, or if there's a mod to the tank that can be done
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4744
    Only the older models have accutronics spring reverbs and they can go pretty deep...possibly too much. The newer versions have digital reverbs which are very useable.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • What sort of age?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A mate of mine has just picked a new one up. The reverb is digital - it's nice enough but won't do overly swampy.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4744
    edited February 2015
    rapscallion;540200" said:
    What sort of age?
    I'm not too sure when the digital reverb came in, but I think it was around 3 yrs ago when the new badging came in. VCs with the newer style Laney livery/logo and the extra tone control are digital reverb. All earlier ones are spring (my VC30-210 is 4-5 yrs old and has spring reverb).

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7179
    I have a VC50 and its ancient, so spring reverb.

The reverb is okay, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Its a little too focused on the high end of things, I believe its an Accutronics full size spring reverb in mine, as its a 2x12 combo.

But I could be wrong.
  • I wouldnt say the reverb in my vc15 is ideal for surf, i usually have mine at about 2 o'clock which gives it a nice "space" to the sound.
    Anything more than that and it gets a little noisy tbh.
    My reverb in my vaporizer on the other hand is ideal for surf.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27310
    They're not a Fender-type surfy reverb, tbh. Good enough to take the edge of a clean sound, but not that splashy "wipeout" thing.

Digital came in around the same time as the new badges (but not *at* the same time- there was a few months overlap).

They do take pedals extremely well though, so no problem adding a reverb pedal if you're not 100% happy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    A reverb pedal is probably one of the few things that will work well in the FX loop on a Laney. Even then it will need to not digitise the dry signal, or it will cause trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cool stuff, thanks for the comments. Any recommendations on a good amp for surf then? I'm thinking Pro Reverb or similar, but always open to advise
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Princeton or clone thereof. More reverb than you can shake a stick at.