my gf's mobile

What's Hot
Its vodafone, and its shite. Every other syllable cuts out, and there's crackle as if a hard limiter has been applied to the signal picked up by the mic. She's tried contacting Vodafone and they've given her some BS about taking the phone apart, removing the sim card, putting it back etc. When she called me just now she came across OK, but a few minutes into the call and the same problems came back. It sounds to me as if there's a server somewhere in their network that's gratuitously discarding packets, like she's been allocated lower bandwidth or lower priority. BTW I have a BT landline and I've never experienced that kind of behaviour from another landline, or behaviour as bad as that from a mobile (although I have to say the audio quality from a mobile is rarely as good as from a landline but never as bad as from her phone).

She says she can't stop paying them 'cos her contract has another year to run and they'll sue her if she cancels the direct debit but I'm telling her she shouldn't be paying for a service she's not getting.

Anyone else had this? 
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Has she tried another phone?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    What holnrew said. Get hold of another phone and swap sims to find out if it's the phone or the network first.
    In regards to vodaphone suing, counter argue that the product isn't fit for purpose and they are not upholding their side of the contract. You have a contract for a service that isn't being supplied.
    Make an appointment with someone at the citizens advice, good chance that someone in their legal team can help get you out of the contract.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Also before suing ensues, use the internet provided coverage maps to check that she's not in an official dead zone. I had below average reception with orange so called them up and they said that I shouldn't be getting any coverage at all where I was according to their system so the fact that I was getting enough to whinge over the phone was pretty cool. I tried near a different tower and suddenly all was good.

Try other phones.

Oh and they wont sue... they just take you to court for non payment - not the same, as suing implies seeking some judgement... CCJs and bailiffs require none of that, just evidence that you've not payed. Don't pay long enough and a bailiff will be sent - there's no legalling around that, and their contracts are rock solid airtight things. They provide a service based on proximity to towers - if you try using your phone on the moon/under the sea/in the desert and get no reception it's your fault. So unless you're in a supposedly high reception area, and multiple phones show this same problem, and she's not on some odd tarrif that allows them to reduce bandwidth then she has to pay. Waste all the time with CAB types all you like, phone companies are remarkably good at these things and have a better legal team than you.

Also - check you landline... otherwise they could just say "oh our line is fine it must be you".

IF all checks come back indicating that Vodaphone isn't supplying adequate service, call them. They might be able to help. If not wait till the contract is up and get a new one.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    it could be worse, it could be on O2................. we corporately went from VF to O2 about 3 year ago,  the drop in service was hugely noticible
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I think a lot depends where you live. I was with O2 for 9 years and coverage in my area was excellent. With EE/Orange now and haven't really noticed any difference.

• Myranda said:
     on some odd tarrif that allows them to reduce bandwidth
    I think this is likely.

BTW there is nothing wrong wit my landline. Other than its broadband speed.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • AFAIK there is never a problem with call setup. Therefore there is nowt wrong with the signalling between the phone and the receiver to which it signals.
  • She say:

[QUOTE]
    Seems they are selling off their masts to other networks thereby reducing their capability to supply a decent working network to their customers.  VODAPHONE ARE SHITE !!
    [/QUOTE]
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    bertie said:
    it could be worse, it could be on O2................. we corporately went from VF to O2 about 3 year ago,  the drop in service was hugely noticible
    Yes, we've recently done the same, with the same outcome.  My "work" mobile gets no signal when I'm WFH.
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    She talks to me on it most days.......whoops!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    I've said it before but the only network worth signing up to is the one Liam Neeson uses is Taken 1 & 2 -unbelievable coverage and super fast connection.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.