Dr Scientist Elements - GAS

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11904
So I am looking for a single pedal that can pretty much cover all the dirt in 1 box, small MXR style the better without breaking the bank so no Cornish!

The Elements seems to be very good in the demo, every gain stages sounds good in the demos, anyone got one and what do you think of it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 671
    I had one of my board for years, it was the only pedal that never left it. It's mega! I mainly used it for higher gain distortion - it was tight and made my amp/cab thump! Brilliant, brilliant pedal
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    @Raymondlin

A very versatile pedal... i've sold mine but I'm always on the lookout for one.

I loved the clean/ bit of hair sounds...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Get a black one! I found the graphics a bit difficult to read on the White one :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11904
    tone1;541520" said:
    Get a black one! I found the graphics a bit difficult to read on the White one :)
    I can't find a black one :(

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I just bought a Cleanness and it's a great boost and EQ but have to say I didn't get on with the OD when I had an Elements a year or so ago. Prefer them a bit smoother I think

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    might be worth looking at the Empress Effects distortion if you are after a 3 in 1 jobbie. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    might be worth looking at the Empress Effects distortion if you are after a 3 in 1 jobbie. 
    Are you commission?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7198
    hahahaha, once you go Empress, you never go back!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited March 2015
    Ive heard a lot of good things about the elements...never owned one. But it must be extremely versatile as no other distortion pedal ive seen has been on so many boards...from light gain to tight metal to loose and big bottom ended doom.

It seems like its a swiss army knife of distortion, but unlike most which are ok at different settings, this one seems to nail all the tones.
    Are you commission?
    no but I have owned over 50 dirt pedals and the empress is the only thing I have never replaced. 

some stuff is a flash in the pan but the empress has been lightning in a skillet (for me)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited March 2015

The Empress and this is one thing I dislike about them, is their size...it basically takes up the space of 2 pedals.  This is a small 18x13 board so space is limited. 

Unless you mean the red one?

I mean the red stompie

not the multi drive

I see, will check it out thanks !

edited March 2015
    Apparently I have just bought one of these Empress Red boxes 2nd hand (seller hasn't written back to me yet though - ebay job) will let you know what it's like - I bought it on strength of @meltedbuzzbox's reccommendation amongst others.

When (if) I get it I will let you know what I think of it too..
    edited March 2015
    meltedbuzzbox inc and all associated parties accept no liability for content produced on this website. 
    These are opinions expressed by an idiot and it is advised you don't listen to them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    lol, all this website does is provide further reasons to buy - and set in concrete an already fairly decided mind... ask enough and some will will tell you the pedal your looking at is good :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7834

lol, all this website does is provide further reasons to buy - and set in concrete an already fairly decided mind... ask enough and some will will tell you the pedal your looking at is good :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister

Haha true.  Although I do go and listen to lots and lots of demo, practically every Youtube videos I could find no anything I buy and if I can, try it instore.  I have been put off by sounds of some pedals before even when people raved about it.  For example, there are a lot of love for Bearfoot Honey Bee.  I am not blown over by it personally.

The Elements does sound good in the demo though, the thing I am most impressed by is the heavy bass tone in the high gain/distortion sound.  Most pedals I find gets the gain but there is no low end to speak of.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    tone1;541520" said:
    I can't find a black one :(

i think that all the finishes look better in person than in the photos, i had the early steampunk version before and while in photos it was so-so, in person its really nice.
    currently got the blue-black mountain forest!

it is very wide ranging, versatile, you can also use it as a clean eq (especially at closer to 18v) and i love the clean blend feature with expression pedal

it is in the rat/opamp family (i believe) so it covers the full range of that kind of distortion
    if you want to jfet type overdrive the ss/bs mini has a massive range of sounds from clean/grit/overdrive/fuzz

one i havent tried but looks interesting is the caroline haymaker, its a bit chunkier in size though